Using Excel Services REST API in InfoPath - Hilary Stoupa

Hilary Stoupa

Using Excel Services REST API in InfoPath

InfoPath 2010 has the ability to return data from REST web services - and Excel Services in SharePoint 2010 has a REST API. I've got a video up on Channel 9  that talks about different ways to leverage Excel in InfoPath, including dynamic charts using data from your form!
Published Dec 28 2011, 08:16 AM by Hilary Stoupa
Filed under: ,

Comments

BHerz said:

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for the informative video on using REST API with Excel Services.

We are using InfoPath 2010 and Excel Services in SharePoint 2010 as a "calculation engine" to update Multiple InfoPath fields with the results calculated by ExcelServices. Does REST have the ability to return multiple values back to multiple InfoPath fields from one URI? Or will each field require its own REST URI and parameters to return the calculated value to each individual InfoPath field?

Bruce

January 25, 2012 9:47 AM

Hilary Stoupa said:

Hi - you should be able to return a cell range or a named range - but that will return the data to your secondary data source. You'll need to add rules that will take the returned data and put it in your main data source fields to your requirments.

February 3, 2012 4:53 PM

RaYvA said:

Hi Hilary,

Thank you for this very informative video, I implemented the form exactly like the one you demonstrated. Still had a few little glitches occasionally in the web form but that's probably my environment :)

Unfortunately, it didn't quiet meet my needs so I resorted to using SOAP instead as I needed to push ~ 10 years of financial data (60 odd parameters) into my model and then extract the corresponding ~10 years of results (~120 ranges), this also had to be done for both 'Expected' and 'Conservative' case financials (so multiply those parameters/ranges by 2!). ^_^ Yes it was a daunting task!

Magically, after unlocking that data from the existing excel spreadsheets and with the use of SharePoint content types I now automate putting all of that financial data into whatever word templates are required with no other user interaction, saving the business at least 20-30 minutes per revision of the financials documentation (and there are literally thousands of revisions per year, estimate about 3000 revisions saves 1500 hrs of work/year!)

I'm sure there are ways to clean up my InfoPath form/SOAP interaction, but I'm more than happy to put together a complete demo of this quiet complex, yet easy to implement and use, infopath/excel/word content type interaction if anyone is interested?

Cheers

February 12, 2014 5:12 AM

emilef said:

Hello Hilary,

I haven't visited this site in a while, but this tutorial and the video (which you have elsewhere) were extremely helpful in getting a bunch of my work off the ground!

Anyway, my question is, as far as you are aware, does this type of data connection between InfoPath and an Excel document, such as the chart, still work with a SP 2016? My IM contacts have told me that my solution, a tool using InfoPath SP and Excel, which I won't bother describing more here, contains some features which have been deprecated in SP 2016 and the SP deployed at my workplace is being upgraded from 2010 to 2016 in the next few months.

March 8, 2019 5:55 AM

Hilary Stoupa said:

Hi - I haven't tried this in later versions of SharePoint. I don't have a 2016 on prem SharePoint site. Here's a link to the docs on the REST API for Excel for 2016 - You could compare URLs / functionality to the docs and see if it looks the same?

March 8, 2019 8:04 AM

Hilary Stoupa said:

I forgot the URL - and then I think the site ate my comment where I included it. docs.microsoft.com/.../excel-services-rest-api

March 8, 2019 8:21 AM

About Hilary Stoupa

I wandered into development after working as a business process analyst for a global manufacturing company. I create InfoPath solutions for our clients as well as work as a developer on company tools that extend InfoPath. I've also been instrumental in creating the InfoPath Master Class training provided by Qdabra.

Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.