InfoPath 2013: Problem with Text Fields when emailing Active View - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath 2013: Problem with Text Fields when emailing Active View

Last post 10-04-2016 06:29 PM by GMHayes. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-04-2016 10:46 AM

InfoPath 2013: Problem with Text Fields when emailing Active View

I have an InfoPath 2013 form which I make available to users through a SharePoint Foundation 2013 page.  Because it is SP Foundation, there is no InfoPath Form Service available and no Web View, so I use the InfoPath "Submit" to email the form to a predefined list of users.  Everyone who fills out the form has at least InfoPath Form Filler, but many of the recipient have no version of InfoPath at all, so we send the message using the Active View.

All of this generally works just fine.  The issue comes into play when someone overruns the starting size of one of the text fields.  In these cases, the message goes out with the text truncated to the starting size of the field.  I have tried both enabling scroll bars, and turning on automatic expansion of the text fields.  Scrollbars obviously didn't work, as the emailed version is a "static" rendering, and neither did an expanded field.  The person filling out the form will see all 17 lines of text they enter, while the recipient only sees 6, for example.

Does anyone know of a way to get the emailed version to reflect the ACTUAL appearance of the Active View as it is at the moment of submission?

Garrett Michael Hayes
  • 10-04-2016 02:08 PM In reply to

Re: InfoPath 2013: Problem with Text Fields when emailing Active View

Hi - A lot of times I set up a specific section for displaying when I send an email - then I can use expression boxes instead of text boxes. http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/22656/78476.aspx has some details on how to implement this.

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-04-2016 05:25 PM In reply to

Fiendishly clever, that!   I shall have to give it a go...

Garrett Michael Hayes
  • 10-04-2016 05:49 PM In reply to

Yup, give it a try, let me know if you get stuck. I checked my sample forms to see if I had a sample & I don't, but could put one together later this week (Thurs / Fri) if you need one.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-04-2016 06:29 PM In reply to

Probably not necessary, but thanks.  I've made a lot of use of selectively hidden/displayed sections before (state of answers, steps in a workflow, who's looking at the form, etc.), but that was always in web forms on a full blown SharePoint site.  It just never occurred to me in this "dumbed down" context.  I think you nudged me in the right direction off the hilltop. <grin>

It may be next week before I have a chance to pursue it, but I will definitely let you know the outcome!

Garrett Michael Hayes
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.