Mailto: hyperlinks with Windows 10 - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Mailto: hyperlinks with Windows 10

Last post 07-24-2020 06:06 AM by dapklp. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-24-2019 02:09 PM

Mailto: hyperlinks with Windows 10

I recently got a new computer with Windows 10 (my old was a Win 7 machine) and I'm trying to update a form with a mailto: hyperlink but it does not work (but it worked fine in Win 7). These are my steps: Select some text like "contact this person" and then pressing Ctrl+K to open the hyperlink box I type in the address field mailto:jdoe@acme.com and the display text is already pre-filled and then click OK The text does NOT turn blue and is NOT underlined. Right-clicking the text gives me these options: Edit, Open, Copy and Remove Hyperlink. If I select Edit Hyperlink the h-link box will open with no address. Preview shows no link and publishing the form will display it as a hyperlink but the link does not go anywhere, just opens a new tab. Note that this does not happen with a regular link such as http://google.com. I realize that this is probably a Windows 10 issue, not InfoPath, but maybe somebody in this community has found a solution. Grateful for any help - Thx!
  • 07-24-2019 02:20 PM In reply to

Re: Mailto: hyperlinks with Windows 10

Can you check and see if this form behaves as anticipated? Save locally, right click and select design. Preview. On my Win10 InfoPath 2013 machine, this works as anticipated - however, I vaguely remember another thread about this that I'll see if I can find.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-24-2019 02:34 PM In reply to

Works as expected - wants to send an e-mail to test@test.com. All of my previous mailto links that I made in Win 7 works fine as long as I don't try to update them, or create a new.
  • 07-24-2019 02:44 PM In reply to

Here's the thread I was remembering - unfortunately, it is just around SharePoint List forms: https://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/38847/120263.aspx#120263
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-24-2019 03:53 PM In reply to

Thanks for trying, much appreciated. I can use a workaround for it though by creating a SharePoint list and insert the whole e-mail message in there (mailto:jdoe@acme.com?subject=Test&body=Testing) and create a data connection to the list. Once I create a hyperlink I select the Data source instead typing the address.
  • 07-24-2019 05:00 PM In reply to

Excellent idea - thanks for posting, it will help others. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 07-24-2020 04:58 AM In reply to

Has there been any progress other than the work-around? I discovered that creating a hyperlink to MSN.com works just fine, but once you insert "mailto" it ceases to function as a link. I cannot modify and existing link or create one from scratch to initiate an e-mail. I'm hoping that there is another solution besides using SharePoint list data sources.
    Filed under: ,
  • 07-24-2020 05:36 AM In reply to

Update: I could not duplicate this, but it worked once. I typed a sentence like: For comments/feedback on the form, e-mail dpotthof@stewart.com. InfoPath automatically turned my e-mail address into a link. I then modified the address to include a subject - which worked. But, I kept ding-donging with it and it reverted back to destination only and if I insist on adding a subject, it removes the link altogether. I'll update you if I can duplicate my fleeting success. The difference seemed to be that when I went in to change the address, the Display was greyed out. Now, that doesn't seem to matter any more.
  • 07-24-2020 06:06 AM In reply to

My apologies for multiple posts, but I found something that worked - different direction assisted by the above suggestion to use a data connection. Instead of making the data connection to a SharePoint list, I created a field inside of this form and pointed to it. This way, I don't have to maintain a separate list for all of my form Feedback links. I know this has been an exercise in me talking to myself so far (cuz it is early in the morning), but the first part of this thread was very helpful. Thank you all who came before me! I know there are advantages to referencing lists outside of the form, but I wasn't looking forward to maintaining yet another list. Thanks again. :o)
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.