Sharepoint workflow doesn't show all Infopath promoted fields - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Sharepoint workflow doesn't show all Infopath promoted fields

Last post 03-11-2019 07:35 PM by zakaria.botros. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-03-2009 06:19 AM

Sharepoint workflow doesn't show all Infopath promoted fields

I'm trying to setup a document workflow with Sharepoint Designer 2007. I have designed a form with Infopath 2003 and published this form on a Sharepoint site. All fields of the form show up in the Sharepoint list (though not "clickable" in the settings). While making the workflow, it is possible to use all the fields in the Conditions drop list but in the Actions drop list it only shows Title and name.

Anyone knows why this is and what I could do?

• 09-03-2009 06:59 AM In reply to

Re: Sharepoint workflow doesn't show all Infopath promoted fields

If you want to change the value of a particular column in a screen,use "Update list item",when u r using  "set field in current item",it is showing name and title for the field that you have already selected in the conditions list,i think u got my point..
    Vishal Srivastava
    Senior Software Engineer
    SDG Software Pvt Ltd
  • 09-03-2009 06:59 AM In reply to

hello and welcome to our group,

well you try setting all the fields editable, then they should list up

Qazi Anis
    System Analyst
    Bitwise Solutions
  • 09-03-2009 11:25 PM In reply to

@Princevis Thanks for your reply.

I think I understand what you mean. When I use "Update list item" in Designer (to define a workflow), I can't see my fields (apart from Name and Title). The same happens with "set field in current item". I should be able to set an action whithout first defining a condition. But even if do (set a condition on the field I would like to change), this field doesn't appear in the fields list for Actions.

• 09-03-2009 11:38 PM In reply to

well, pls be more specific,i mean are you publishing the fields to the doc lib from where you want to get them change,obviously u must be doing that,can you pls list steps what u r doing,before starting a workflow,becos i don't get a point why fields are not showing in workflow for a particular List,even if u won't show them in a view all the field should be accessible for the change..
    Vishal Srivastava
    Senior Software Engineer
    SDG Software Pvt Ltd
  • 09-04-2009 12:20 AM In reply to

@Qazi Anis:

as I'm fairly new in working with Sharepoint (and still have to learn a lot), I don't exactly understand what you mean: where can I set these fields editable? In the Settings on the sharepoint site I don't see a possibility, I don't see it in Sharepoint Designer nor in my Infopath form.

I have seen in some tutorials that it is possible to set fields editable by users while publishing a form to a Sharepoint site but these tutorials deal with InfoPath 2007 (maybe this is what you meant?). Unfortunately, we still have to work with InfoPath 2003 and the IP2003 Publishing Wizard doesn't present me this possibility. 

I hope you can help me out with this because I'm really stuck on this point.

• 09-04-2009 01:00 AM In reply to

@Princevis:

I'll try to explain what I want to do and how.

We want to automate the current manual flow of documents in our company. At the moment we have identified around 30 document types that still have to be filled out manually, go to a number of approvers or people who have to add more information and finally end up in a department that may take a final action and/or files the document. In my opinion an ideal project for being automated with Sharepoint in conjuction with Infopath made forms.

At the moment we are working with a testform: it is designed in Infopath 2003 and fairly simple. There are 3 input fields: Initiator, Approver and Flowstatus (with a predefined start value). Then this form is being published from within Infopath on a Sharepoint Document Library. During the publishing I also promote the 3 fields I just mentioned. After doing this, I can see that this Document Library (called TestForm) has been created on the Sharepoint site and that the columns include the 3 fields. In the TestForm Library I can go to Settings>Form Library Settings. In the Colums Section I can see all the fields (also the 3 promoted fields) but I can't edit them (the standard fields are editable - they appear in blue; the promoted fields stay black).

As a next step I want to make a workflow using Sharepoint Designer 2007. In a first step, I want the workflow to send out emails to the initiator and the approver (for the test it will simply be a line of text). This works fine: It is the first step of the workflow and it is done with the Workflowdesigner. There's no condition set, only an action "send an email". So far so good.

The second step of the flow needs to change the value of the field "Flowstatus": it needs to become something like "Flow started". I don't need a condition for this, so I use the action "Set field in current item". This is the place where my problem comes: when I click on the blue "field" I only get the fields "Name" and "Title". None of the promoted fields appear. But when I add an additional column directly in the Sharepoint library, it does appear in the workflow designer (and is also editable in the Columns section of the Library settings page).

If this would work, my flow would be ready (as a first test, there's much more involved than that of course).

How would the business users use this system? They will be directed to the sharepoint site, go to the library with the form they need, click on "New", the infopath form would open (with IP 2003 they need Infopath on their PC - IP 2007 seems to have the possibility to open with a browser). They would fill out the form, click a button on the form to save and close the form. The form appears in the Sharepoint Library and the workflow starts. Mails are being sent: the next approver receives the mail, gets a link to the form, gets a different view of the form, (maybe based on the value of the Flowstatus field). He can approve or send back, etc.

Parts of the last section already work, but I cannot continue testing until I'm able to update a column/field (there will be many other reasons why I would like to be able to do this apart from udating the Flowstatus field).

I hope this extensive explanation has not bored you but I think it makes clear what I want to do and how.  Can you help me out with this?

• 09-04-2009 02:09 AM In reply to

hello Lgeleyns,

when you are publising the infopath form, you will come across a list of promoted properties list, select each individual field and click modify, in the modify pop up, you will get a check box at the bottom, that will say something like "Allow users to edit data in this field by using a datasheet or properties page". then publish on as usual .

Now the fields should be editable to you as well as clickable to you in the settings.

Hope this resolves your problem

Qazi Anis
    System Analyst
    Bitwise Solutions
  • 09-04-2009 03:20 AM In reply to

this is exactly my problem: I don't get the choice to check any box. I would like to show you this window that opens when I want to Modify a field but apparantly I cannot paste any pictures in this editor.

• 09-04-2009 03:26 AM In reply to

Are you publishing the form to a DocLib directly or through Central Admin.
    Vishal Srivastava
    Senior Software Engineer
    SDG Software Pvt Ltd
  • 09-04-2009 04:14 AM In reply to

I publish directly into the Documents Library.

• 09-04-2009 04:26 AM In reply to

you can insert pictures here using the insert/edit image button in the toolbar

Qazi Anis
    System Analyst
    Bitwise Solutions
  • 09-04-2009 04:47 AM In reply to

By using this insert/edit image button I need to link to a URL. I have this picture as a file. Simply inserting path and filename doesn't seem to work. Any other option?

• 09-04-2009 04:55 AM In reply to

in the options tab u will can attach the file, you can attach from there

Qazi Anis
    System Analyst
    Bitwise Solutions
  • 09-04-2009 05:00 AM In reply to

If your Infopath form is browser enabled,you have to publish it through Central admin,after that,when you'll publish a form,u'll see the options of making fields editable,although u can get a warning msg not to do that,but if u'll continue you can achieve whatever you required,i can't make out that if you have Sharepoint designer 2007,which is a Microsoft office 2007 product, then you should have Infopath 2007 as well,but still you are designing a form template in infopath 2003..

is there any requirement like that...

Vishal Srivastava
    Senior Software Engineer
    SDG Software Pvt Ltd
Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.