Create query form with data connection to SharePoint list - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Create query form with data connection to SharePoint list

Last post 12-02-2008 04:40 PM by Patrick Halstead. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-21-2008 11:29 AM

• clawrence
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Quad Cities, IA/IL
    • Posts 33

Create query form with data connection to SharePoint list

I'm trying to create a query form - basically, I want a user to be able to type in a customer account number, hit search, and other boxes will auto-poulate with company, address, phone, etc.

I've got all the customer information in a SharePoint list - can I connect to this for a query?  Everything I've been able to find suggests that a SharePoint list can't be set up as a primary data source, only a secondary, and that a query can't be run off a secondary data source...

Thanks for any advice!

• 11-22-2008 06:49 PM In reply to

Re: Create query form with data connection to SharePoint list

That is correct Sharepoint lists cannot be queried.

Your choices are setup a secondary data conenction, which will load the whole list, then jsut filter a repeating section to only show the one they wanted or "queried". The drop back is performance of loading all records.

Or put the data in a database instead, you have SQL on the Sharepoint server, and then you can create a form based on the data and perform queries on it.

The very best is to database you enterprise solutions and then use web services like qdabra provides.  Then you can query and submit to multiple tables and query and submit to sharepoint.

Filed under:
  • 11-24-2008 06:28 AM In reply to

• clawrence
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 11-07-2008
    • Quad Cities, IA/IL
    • Posts 33

Okay, but can I create a connection library in SharePoint containing the information from the list, and create a primary data source that way?

• 12-02-2008 04:40 PM In reply to

Sorry I missed this last week. SharePoint lists can be queried with our Web Service http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/dbxldownload/entry34123.aspx . Comes with a query builder tool that makes it easy to build custom queries. After installing the Web Service, just create a UDC connection in your connection library to the Web Service and add that to your form. Then, the data will come into your secondary data source and you can copy it to your primary data source. Contact us to see a demo. I believe we will be creating a video of this soon.

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.