Error when trying to open a form in Sharepoint - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Error when trying to open a form in Sharepoint

Last post 10-06-2020 01:54 PM by mklauss. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2020 11:14 AM

Error when trying to open a form in Sharepoint

Hi everyone,

I'm experiencing an issue that I have no idea how to resolve or even where to look so I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction I need to look. 

I created a form that works fine and have it submit to a Sharepoint library for storage/review and it is set up like my other forms however this one keeps giving me the following error message when I try to open it in Sharepoint:

Text is not allowed in the context of element '{http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/infopath/2003/myXSD/2020-01-10T18:27:34}SubmitSection' according to DTD/Schema

I have run tests and verified formulas but do not find any errors. I was able to fix it briefly when the browser enabled document advanced settings in Sharepoint were changed  back to "use the server default" but after a change or two in the form and publishing it again the error came back. The advanced settings now match my other forms which are working and I can open in their respective Sharepoint library but this form still won't. The date and time are what I am using to set the unique name of file in Sharepoint but the date always references January for some reason. I am currently using InfoPath 2013 and I see a reference to 2003 which is curious so I'm not sure if there is a conflict in the versions or what but like I said all of my other forms are working fine. A google search also didn't provide any good results so I'm hoping someone on here has experience with this or can decipher that message please.

Thanks. 

• 09-22-2020 12:18 PM In reply to

Re: Error when trying to open a form in Sharepoint

You get this error when you open a new form? Or when you open a filled out form? Basically, the error is saying that in the XML there is a value in "SubmitSection" that doesn't pass the schema validation. You may want to look at some of your saved XML files in a text editor to see what's going on....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-22-2020 05:04 PM In reply to

Thanks Hilary. I get the error when trying to open a filled out form stored in Sharepoint. I don't believe there are any XML files associated with the form but will check closer.

• 09-22-2020 06:13 PM In reply to

Filled out forms are XML files :) So download one of the filled out forms and then open it in a text editor, or attach it here under the options tab if you'd like a hand.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-23-2020 09:38 AM In reply to

Haha oops, I should know that and I'm still learning as I go.  I'm a little concerned about posting it here though since it may contain information that should not be shared. I've looked it over and think I have everything out but not sure. Is it ok if I  PM it to you?

• 09-23-2020 09:52 AM In reply to

I just sent you an email via the forum - reply to it with your XML and your XSN and I'll take a peek and see if I can see the issue. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-24-2020 10:04 AM In reply to

Thanks Hilary, I didn't get your email but did send you one and hoping that you received it.

• 09-24-2020 12:00 PM In reply to

I am able to repro the issue when I preview the XML you sent with the template you sent if I have the form set to not update the XML on open (under versioning settings). Removing the whitespace in the node fixes that.... but that doesn't explain how that is ending up with whitespace to begin with. Is this form in production yet? Or are you still testing?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-24-2020 04:46 PM In reply to

Thanks Hilary. The form is in production, it had passed all of the tests initially and it works just great but when I go to view the older ones I get the error. Where do you see the whitespace? If it happens where I think it does, the form has a field for shipping address that is filled out by a user and that it is published to SharePoint. Then we have a PowerShell script that creates a ticket and deletes the shipping address because it's considered personal information. I've asked the PS guy to insert a period in that field when removing the address in SharePoint so it's not blank any more to see if that resolves it. I'm scrambling for some sort of a solution but luckily the form is working and everything just so long as I don't have to go look at a completed one.

• 09-24-2020 06:41 PM In reply to

The whitespace is in between the open / close tags for Submit. If you open the XML in a text editor, you can see a carriage return. In this screenshot, I've got it open in Notepad ++ and am showing all symbol characters. In my tests, if I removed the carriage return, the schema validation error went away.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-25-2020 09:36 AM In reply to

Thank you Hilary. That is very interesting and I have looked over other forms that I have used a submit section with and I don't have a problem with them in fact the one I just looked at had it all in one line (and no carriage return I'm guessing since I don't have access to Notepad ++ or a way to see the characters). I have no idea why this form then has a carriage return after the first <my:SubmitSection> or how to keep it from happening. It's a simple section with a submit button and some text above it. Do you know what could be causing the carriage return or what I should look for?

• 09-25-2020 09:41 AM In reply to

You are opening this in the browser, right? and submitting in the browser? Your initial post makes it sound like you were using Filler for a bit - is that the case? And you said this is only happening on "older" forms? Do you have the form template published with the versioning set up upgrade existing XML? Oh - and I guess the next question is - are these all forms that have been updated by the PowerShell script you mention?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-25-2020 10:52 AM In reply to

Good questions Hilary and I will try to answer as best as I can. The forms are set as browser-enabled and they open using the server default. The form is set to use Web Browser, not filler. I do not use versioning on the form and the PowerShell script has been running for almost all of them. There was a process change to include the address which then created the opportunity to use the PowerShell script to delete it after the ticket was created but I can open up some of those. The error seems to be sporadic with forms. I just checked and the ones that I was able to open up yesterday no longer will open and I get that same error message now.

• 09-25-2020 11:02 AM In reply to

By versioning I mean in the form template, the XSN, under form options > Versioning, is the template set to upgrade existing forms? Have you published the form again between being able to open certain forms yesterday that you can't open today?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-25-2020 11:32 AM In reply to

Oh ok I get it and yes, the form is set to automatically update the form and the template. I have published the form without any changes to see if it will resolve the issue but it doesn't.

I suppose I can delete the section and just move the button and text to the form itself without a section if that will resolve it. 

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.