I am attempting to query a Sharepoint list's row based on a drop-down selection on my Main section to populate multiple fields with the associated data - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

I am attempting to query a Sharepoint list's row based on a drop-down selection on my Main section to populate multiple fields with the associated data

Last post 09-09-2020 04:43 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-08-2020 10:00 AM

I am attempting to query a Sharepoint list's row based on a drop-down selection on my Main section to populate multiple fields with the associated data

Hello all - this is my first post and I am new to Infopath (which is a requirement of this task I am trying to accomplish). I am running into trouble understanding how to query a row's values stored in a SharePoint list to populate the respective fields on a Infopath webform.

Here is an overview of the intended functionality.

I have a SharePoint list titled, "Campaign Master List" that has the following columns:

• campaignID
    • campaignName
    • agencyPartner
    • targetLaunchDate
    • brand
    • franchise
    There is existing campaign data in this table currently.

I have a drop-down menu on the Main form that uses the "Campaign Master List", campaignName values as the drop-down menus being sourced from the SharePoint list.

If a user selects an existing campaign from the drop-down menu, I would like for the respective row values for campaignID, agencyPartner, targetLaunchDate, brand and franchise to be populated based on the selected Campaign Name in the drop-down menu.

I have Googled this and read overviews about creating secondary data sources to store the queried values from, but I'm having trouble understanding how this would actually work with how unfamiliar I am with Infopath.

Can anyone help me think through this?

Thanks in advance for anyone who responds!

Thank you, :)
    Filed under: ,
  • 09-09-2020 08:58 AM In reply to

Re: I am attempting to query a Sharepoint list's row based on a drop-down selection on my Main section to populate multiple fields with the associated data

Hi! So - you need to add a receive data connection to the Campaign Master List to your form. You will likely want to sort it by campaign name - that is one of the options on the screen where you select the list fields in the data connection wizard. On your dropdown field in your form, you'll add rules to set other field's values. When you select the value, it will be from your secondary Campaign Master List data connection, and you should see a "Filter data" button - click on that. You'll want to add a filter that the Campaign Name in the secondary data source is equal to the field in the main data source bound to the dropdown. It sounds so much harder than it is. :) Feel free to attach your form under the Options tab if you need a hand - you'll need to at least create the secondary data connection beforehand.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-09-2020 11:36 AM In reply to

Re: I am attempting to query a Sharepoint list's row based on a drop-down selection on my Main section to populate multiple fields with the associated data

Hey! And thanks for your response. I gave this a shot, but I think I'm getting confused on the rules filter data part. I just attached a screenshot with some text in red to describe the functionality. I will also reply with another screen that shows the rules.

• 09-09-2020 11:36 AM In reply to

Attached to this message is the rules screenshot

• 09-09-2020 12:08 PM In reply to

What would help most would be a copy of the form. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-09-2020 12:51 PM In reply to

So - your filter looks right. But what is providing the values for the "brand" drop down?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-09-2020 03:11 PM In reply to

Thanks for the reply! The "brand" drop-down is sourced from a SharePoint list I created that is 1 column and just lists each brand so that way the list can easily be added to for new brands that may be developed.

I also did not realize I was able to attach my form. I have attached it to this message :)

Thanks again for your response, this has been confusing me 

• 09-09-2020 04:43 PM In reply to

Perhaps try this one. You want to get the "brand" from the same data source as the initial dropdown is using for its data - so that's the main change I made. You need to right click the linked file and select save as to save the file locally. Then you can right click the saved file and select Design to open in design mode.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.