Starting a Workflow from IP Form - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Starting a Workflow from IP Form

Last post 09-04-2020 09:33 AM by Froman. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-27-2020 10:22 AM

Starting a Workflow from IP Form

Hi, I've been trying to find a way to start a workflow from an infopath form, but it doesn't look like it's possible without coding and I'm limited to SPD and IP. the next best thing I could come up with is having a new yes/no field with a default no. The a button that will change the value to yes. From SPD I will have a workflow that says "If Field equals yes, send email, end workflow". Because I want to have this workflow start in the middle of an item's life-cycle I'm having trouble with how to start the workflow. If I use when the item is modified, it will just sit there as running until the field gets changed to yes correct? I've been told that I shouldn't have too many active workflows on an item, so this will be workflow number two, on a list of 3-5K items. Is there a better way to have this workflow start? is there a way I don't know about in infoPath to begin a workflow? Thanks Daniel
  • 08-31-2020 08:33 AM In reply to

Re: Starting a Workflow from IP Form

I think I would go with your general idea. I'd have the workflow set up to run if an item is created or modified - first step would be to check if the field is "yes" and then if it is, send the email. It shouldn't just wait. However, you may want to handle for not sending the email multiple times - like, if the form is re-opened and different data is changed. So - maybe add a helper column "email sent" and set that to true when you send the email - that way you can just check at the beginning of your workflow that your trigger field = yes and email sent <> yes. Finally - if this workflow just sends an email, why not use an email submit in the form instead of workflow?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-31-2020 01:46 PM In reply to

So now I've been asked to do a bunch of these notification emails at different times for different situations, so I think I'm going to stay away from extra fields and such. I think I'm probably going to add a button on the Item menu and tie a workflow to it, means it's manual, but I can live with that. although what do you mean an email submit in the form?
  • 08-31-2020 02:07 PM In reply to

InfoPath forms can submit to email. You can send the "current view" of the form - so, in a browser form (I'm guessing this is a browser form - list form?) you should be able to switch views and send email (thus customizing what is sent).
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-01-2020 01:11 PM In reply to

neat, I've looked into this and it may have some uses for me, but my form has 4 different views and the required information is spread across all of them. So my choice is either to attach the entire form to the email, or create a new view that compiles all the required info then have the send button work from there and include the "active view" correct?
  • 09-01-2020 01:29 PM In reply to

If the active view is the one you want to send, and it looks ok in email, you can just send it. I usually create a new view to have greater control over the end email result.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-02-2020 12:12 PM In reply to

Thanks, I think I'll give this a whirl and see what happens.
  • 09-02-2020 02:25 PM In reply to

This seems to work quite well, I've created another view which pulls the information required from the other views. I've also added some blank fields to put some extra information in, but they are not linked to any field in SharePoint, will this cause problems? Also, it seems that the people picker fields don't come through, is this a known issue? Any way around it? I'm sending the "active" sheet as I don't want to attach the entire form. Thanks
  • 09-02-2020 02:33 PM In reply to

I'd use a calculated value that shows the display name from the people picker. As to "blank fields to put extra information in" - again, I'd just use calculated fields or type the data in a section and format to show / hide it as needed.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-04-2020 09:33 AM In reply to

excellent, thank you!
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.