Auto Populate a field from a cascading dropdown selected. - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Auto Populate a field from a cascading dropdown selected.

Last post 05-07-2020 10:43 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2020 09:08 AM

• DS7298
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2020
    • Posts 6

Auto Populate a field from a cascading dropdown selected.

Good Day,

This is my first post.  In my form I have two fields in a cascading drop down. It works and I am happy with it.  The form also needs to have several calculated values populate based on one of the fields used in the cascade.  This is not working. However, when I remove the cascade and use just the required field the calculated values populate.  I have been trying to understand how this works and have come to the conclusion that I can't make one dropdown field do more than one function. I tried to use a text field to be the trigger for the calculated value but can't seem to get the selected value to populate in the text field. How do I copy the selection made in the cascade to the text box?  Or if you have an idea that would be better I am happy to give it a shot. 

TY,

DS7298 

• 05-06-2020 09:33 AM In reply to

Re: Auto Populate a field from a cascading dropdown selected.

Hi! I generally understand forms better than descriptions - is there any chance you could attach your template under the Options tab in a reply? If not - are the calculated values default formulas in fields in the form? Or actual calculated values w/ formulas in them? Could it be you need to have more specific XPath filters in those calcs?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-06-2020 09:58 AM In reply to

• DS7298
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2020
    • Posts 6

I had to remove most of the views to be able to send it.  Amazed at your quick response and very grateful.

DS7298 

• 05-06-2020 10:02 AM In reply to

• DS7298
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2020
    • Posts 6

Field8 should allow the calculated fields with the data from the PAS Master List. This is so the user that needs to make a change can see their current data.

• 05-06-2020 10:28 AM In reply to

Cool - I'll take a look. It may be later today before I have a chance. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-06-2020 03:04 PM In reply to

I'm confused by why on field8 there is a rule to submit the form? Is that what you want to do? It looks like maybe the main data source of the list and the secondary data connection for those calculated values are the same list.... So - the data you want to show in those calculated values would be the most recent data submitted with the same field8 value? Or does it also need to match on field103? If so, you may want to add field103 to your secondary data connection so you can filter on both of them, if that makes sense?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 10:37 AM In reply to

• DS7298
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-06-2020
    • Posts 6

I removed the submit for field8 it was put in by a coworker trying to help.  Yes you are right about the data connections and no I do not need the 103 data in the calculated fields I do need the calculated fields to populate according the selection in field8. It seems that the cascading dropdown negates the ability to do that. I don't have a lot of experience with XDPath but does it need a more advanced criteria in order to do this.
  • 05-07-2020 10:43 AM In reply to

Ok, thanks - so the options in field8 are unique, regardless of what is selected in 103? Are there a lot of list items that would match on field8 in the list? Is the data you are seeing in your calculated fields just entirely wrong, or earlier data, or blank? Because your XPath looks right for selecting items that match on field8, but if there are bunch of items in the list that have the same field8 value, that may be part of the problem.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.