Auto Populating text fields based on Dropdown choice - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Auto Populating text fields based on Dropdown choice

Last post 02-11-2019 07:55 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-06-2019 09:05 PM

Auto Populating text fields based on Dropdown choice

I'm at a loss. Message boards seem to be incomplete and I can't find a video or walk through that seems to detail exactly what I'm looking for. So, hopefully, someone can point me in a proper direction. Essentially what I'm doing is creating a table in Sharepoint that I can upload data into (from a spreadsheet from accouting). Namely, things like columns with Month, Site Name, Industry, OT Hours, AL Hours, SL Hours, and reason. I also have a column concatenated with Month, Site, and Industry. (ie. JanuarySeattleTransportation). This last column I am using as a drop-down in an InfoPath form (I call this column SiteInfo). I would like to make a selection from the drop down, and have text fields for OT, SL, and AL automatically be populated from the table. The reason field can be filled in by the user. Once they hit submit, that would fill in the reason column in by table. Unfortunately, with how our site is setup, I can't run scripts or access the main site. I'm a few sites down the list. So this has to be done within Rules/InfoPath and Sharepoint. I've tried setting rules where the OT field is equal to the SiteInfo with a filter. Still nothing. Any help would be appreciated
  • 02-07-2019 07:35 PM In reply to

Re: Auto Populating text fields based on Dropdown choice - SOLVED

I solved my question. The trick was to Populate the 1st pull-down from my external source. I had an XML from W3Schools (https://www.w3schools.com/xml/cd_catalog.xml). I set the Field as FieldArtist and the pull down as Artist from XML... Repeated the same for the 2nd drop down as the FieldTitle. This I hadn't seen in other tutorials. In preview, both pull downs would independently bring up lists. I wound up switching the 2nd pull down to a text box once this worked. **Drop Down List Properties** Entries: Catalog/CD ** Value: Artist and Title, respectively ** Display Name: Artist and Title, respectively ** Then created Rule1 within the top (artist) pull down. Set the value of a field and Mark THAT Field to the 2nd pull down, FieldTitle. This is where a lot of confusion was coming from. Field: FieldAlbum (text field to populated) Value: Title[FieldArtist = Artist] Title is the Data to Return from the source [FieldArtist is the top field as reference = Artist as the lookup in the XML]
  • 02-11-2019 07:55 AM In reply to

Re: Auto Populating text fields based on Dropdown choice - SOLVED

Wonderful - glad you solved it and thanks for posting your solution!
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.