how to add another option in dropdown - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

how to add another option in dropdown

Last post 01-04-2018 10:36 AM by sajan. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-20-2017 08:47 AM

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

how to add another option in dropdown

Hi all! I'm pretty new/confuse how to do the following : I need to create a dropdown list : Group option show A and B then if the user selected B another option should show like C or D. any help I know its quiet simple not I'm not able to do it. any help will be highly appreciate it! -Saj
  • 12-21-2017 07:30 AM In reply to

Re: how to add another option in dropdown

Hi! So, I'm a little confused. Are you referring to multiple dropdown controls here - that if the user selects "B" in the first dropdown, the second dropdown shows "C" or "D"? Or am I misunderstanding?

Hilary Stoupa

• 12-21-2017 08:40 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

that is right so when the user select "B" from the dropdown then new dropdown should show choice of "C or D" but I don't know how to do it..
    Filed under:
  • 12-21-2017 08:52 AM In reply to

Do your dropdown values come from a secondary data source? Or have they been manually typed into the control's properties?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-21-2017 08:57 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

I am using sharepoint. but I also do not know how to find the data connection library as I am barely new and trying to understand it.
  • 12-21-2017 08:58 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

I just manually typed it in InfoPath.
  • 12-21-2017 08:59 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

I created the dropdown list manually from InfoPath but it is connected to sharepoint
  • 12-21-2017 09:06 AM In reply to

Any chance you can attach a copy of your form to a reply under the options tab? How to do this depends on how your form is set up. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-21-2017 09:33 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

I have attach the info.xsn hope u will be able to see. so what I am actually trying to do it in the group if the user selects A or B a "tool" will appear showing the C or D option second thing I am trying to do is LOB should be constrained by selection from Group: So, in LOB it should be constraints by group A or B.. so if A is selected only list of LOB for A will show and if B then only LOB for B will show.
  • 12-21-2017 09:33 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

I have attach the info.xsn hope u will be able to see. so what I am actually trying to do it in the group if the user selects A or B a "tool" will appear showing the C or D option second thing I am trying to do is LOB should be constrained by selection from Group: So, in LOB it should be constraints by group A or B.. so if A is selected only list of LOB for A will show and if B then only LOB for B will show.
  • 12-21-2017 09:38 AM In reply to

Ok. For the LOB issue, you'll need to create a list for those options - right now, you've manually added the choices, but if you want to have a cascading dropdown, you'll need a new SharePoint list for your LOBs that also include the group the LOB belongs to. For the "Tool" piece - you already have two radio options on the form for "Tool" - do you just wish to display different option buttons based on the group selection?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-21-2017 09:49 AM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

would you please help me how cascading dropdown tool works? right now I have just added the LOB for option "A"(so its list for A) not for LOB "B" because I did not know about cascading dropdown Yes, for "Tool" if "B" is selected the "tool" should appear with that radio options else it should not.
  • 12-21-2017 09:51 AM In reply to

As I mentioned, the first thing you need to do is create a list for the LOB options, so that they can have a column for the group. Then the dropdown for LOB needs to be changed to use the new list for the data. You can either do that in the list, by changing LOB to a lookup, or in the form, by adding a data connection to the new list and setting the dropdown control to use it for data. In the dropdown, we can then add a filter based on the selected group.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-21-2017 12:47 PM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

Ohh okay so what I did is in sharepoint I have created an add app list for Group(A or B) also creating I made an look up "tool" for "B" So in InfoPath, In "group" previously there, these are the steps I did: dropdown list box properties in the data source I selected the "group" which I made in SharePoint. So my question is do I have to make any changes in the other option like : Entries or Value or that should work ? Work in a sense when I choose from the "Group " option "A or B" and when "B" is selected a tool will appear?
  • 12-21-2017 12:52 PM In reply to

• sajan
    • Not Ranked
      Male
    • Joined on 12-19-2017
    • Posts 14

okay So, when I do Preview in InfoPath: in Group (Which is one using SharePoint) It shows the Option "A or B" but the" tool" is Not appearing(which I made in sharepoint) ? do I have to make a rule or something how do I get the "tool" option when "B" is selected?
Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.