Can I have Non Repeating and Repeating Sections - SharePoint List/InfoPathForm? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Can I have Non Repeating and Repeating Sections - SharePoint List/InfoPathForm?

Last post 08-09-2017 06:44 PM by anh.vnn810. 34 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-21-2016 09:11 AM

• hjones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-19-2016
    • Posts 5

Can I have Non Repeating and Repeating Sections - SharePoint List/InfoPathForm?

Hello, I am building a form for an internal client at my place of employment. The top part of the form is standard requester info - name, address, id, etc. I have this is a table. ( I started the process by creating SharePoint List from InfoPath and allowing Repeating Areas) I selected the controls in the table and turned off the repeat option. The bottom section is for information that can be repeated over and over. This section I want to repeat. However when I submit the form the items in the top section are repeating and have to be answered because I have them as required. Is there a way to build a form with non-repeat and repeating sections much like I am able to do when I create a form that will go to a Library? Or...is there a way for my Library form to export into an EXCEL document instead of just opening up in InfoPath/SharePoint as a web form? Thanks!
  • 09-23-2016 11:42 AM In reply to

Re: Can I have Non Repeating and Repeating Sections - SharePoint List/InfoPathForm?

Take a look at this post -  http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/t/31708.aspx - There is a form someone else was working on that I think is the same thing you are talking about. :)

Hilary Stoupa

• 09-25-2016 04:31 PM In reply to

• hjones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-19-2016
    • Posts 5

Re: Can I have Non Repeating and Repeating Sections - SharePoint List/InfoPathForm?

Hello and thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately what I am doing is different.

My users are currently using an Excel doc with form fields/drop downs etc. 

The top part of the doc has name, department, email, etc. for ID purposes.

The bottom part of the form has several columns where then can insert multiple rows of data.

I am trying to replicate this in InfoPath.

I started the list from InfoPath going to a SPO list allowing for repeating fields.

I want the ID info for the submitter to be entered once.

The bottom part of the form should allow for them to make multiple entries.

Unfortunately as I test the form it is repeating the top portion of the form too.  Additionally I am seeing that it is only inserting one of the entries into SPO instead of all.

• 09-26-2016 02:18 PM In reply to

Can I see a copy of your form? You can attach it under the options tab in a reply. It sounds like you may have something wrong w/your control binding, at least to your last point that only one entry gets added to the list.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-28-2016 08:56 AM In reply to

• hjones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-19-2016
    • Posts 5

I found what I was doing wrong in regards to multiple entries not showing up in the library.

But what I am still missing is how to keep the top part of the form from NOT repeating when I only want to bottom section to show up.

Probably something really simple I am doing wrong. 

Thanks for your help.

• 10-07-2016 07:13 AM In reply to

• hjones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-19-2016
    • Posts 5

Hello did my attachment come through?  I sent you over a copy of the form.  I solved one of my problems.  But still am trying to keep top part of form from repeating.  Thanks!

• 10-07-2016 07:24 AM In reply to

Oh, so sorry, I missed that. I'll take a look later today. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-07-2016 12:39 PM In reply to

Try this one - save it locally, right click and select Design to open in design mode. You'll see two instances of the repeating section on the form - the one with the heading info is set to not allow the user to insert, and hides all but the first. Then all the fields in the heading are using defaults to set to the value of the preceding-sibling.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-17-2016 08:07 AM In reply to

• hjones
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 09-19-2016
    • Posts 5

Good Morning Hilary,

That is EXACTLY what I wanted. This is perfect.   I'm not sure what you did?  Was this as simple as going to the REPEATING SECTION PROPERTIES and unchecking ----in this case the HEADING REPEATING SECTION PROPERTIES---Allow users to insert and delete the sections?

Thanks!

HJones 

• 02-01-2017 10:53 PM In reply to

• arfir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-01-2017
    • Posts 13

Hi Hillary, I´m having the same problem unfortunately (and can´t open the file you attached here) - could you please tell me what you did, or do you have an example? Thanks so much in advance!
    Filed under:
  • 02-02-2017 10:08 AM In reply to

What happens when you download the file & try to open in design mode - do you have an earlier version of InfoPath?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-02-2017 10:21 AM In reply to

Took a look at your form - set the default in the Persons Name field to: ../preceding-sibling::my:SharePointListItem_RW/my:PersonsName
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-02-2017 10:44 AM In reply to

• arfir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-01-2017
    • Posts 13

EDIT: sorry got it now, thank you so much! Retraced my steps one by one, guess I made a mistake the first few times somehow - in any case it works now! thanks again :)

Hi Hilary, thank you so much for your response! Firstly, I had some issue with downloading the file due to company restrictions, but I've found a way around that now.

I can see how it works in the file above (community-engagement-form.xsn), and that works exactly like I want it to - but when I do it, the auto population of name doesn't happen when I preview: feel like I'm missing something really basic, sorry! Hopefully it is a quick fix though, I've added my file again - can you see what i'm not seeing! Appreciate it a lot, cheers

• 02-02-2017 01:40 PM In reply to

• arfir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-01-2017
    • Posts 13

Hang on, the form now does exactly what I need when I use it in infopath´s preview mode (also allows me to submit to the sharepoint list i need, and it turns out correctly), but when I try to add a ´new document´ within the SharePoint list (so in browser) the form doesn´t work properly anymore? (it removes the personname every time i fill any other field). I´m very new to infopath/sharepoint in general, so sorry if this is an obvious issue, but might there be a reason why the list form works in preview but not in browser, and is there any way to fix it? Thanks a lot!
  • 02-02-2017 01:45 PM In reply to

Hmmm. That sounds pretty odd. You published your change, right? You don't have rules on the other fields that would be affecting this field?
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.