Design hint to SQL frontend - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Design hint to SQL frontend

Last post 10-24-2005 10:33 AM by moelgaard. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-24-2005 12:07 AM

Design hint to SQL frontend

Hello

I would like some input to how I can design an InfoPath form to be used as a frontend for an SQL database.

I have an InfoPath form used to order a product. Much of the data in the InfoPath form must be inserted in a database. The idea is to decouple the dataflow so the users doing the ordering are not allowed to access the database directly. The data they enter are sent to a admin group that review the information and add some more info before the entries are inserted in the database.

My question is, should I use the "New from data connection form" or just a blank form and then program the data connection myself?

I have been looking at both but none have been succesful yet. My problem with the Data connection form is how to get data from a repeating table in ordinary XML parsed into a repeating section linked to the database (the data fields).

And regarding the task of programming the data connection myself I would like some input to how this can be coded. The database I use is a MS SQL Server 2000 with mixed mode authentication.

Links to related forum posts or articles are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Emil Moelgaard
    Vestas Wind Systems A/S
  • 10-24-2005 05:26 AM In reply to

Re: Design hint to SQL frontend

Hi,

Even if SQL Server DB is native to InfoPath, you could look into using Web Services to have more control over complex scenarios. In any case, you can still create a "Blank" form and manage your secondary data connections through the Tools \ Data Connections Menu.
    To tackle your workflow issues, one solution if to have one node in your schema to store the "Status" of your form. On the other hand, if you take over the Submit behavior of your form by code (OnSubmitRequest), you can then decide if the form is pushed to "Review" or if it is submitted back to the DB.

Hope that it helps.

Regards,

Franck Dauché
  • 10-24-2005 06:23 AM In reply to

Hi,

Ok, I have now generated a Web Service Interface to the stored procedure using SQLXML. I can now insert data in my database.

However it is only the top row of a repeating table that is sent to the Web Service. Is there some smart way of submitting all data in a repeating table?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Emil Moelgaard
    Vestas Wind Systems A/S
  • 10-24-2005 06:34 AM In reply to

That should be simple. If you have a send data connection to a web service you should have the ability to select the field or group that you want to submit. In this case, you would select the group that represents your repeating table.
    Jason
    http://www.k2distillery.com/
  • 10-24-2005 06:48 AM In reply to

But not all fields in the repeating table are to be submitted to the Web Service. And if I select the group how can I then configure the relations between columns in the repeating table and the five individual parameters that the SP (and therefore the Web Service) takes?

The Web Service inserts a single item in the database. The repeating section in the IP form contains several items that all needs to be inserted in the database.

Best regards

Emil Moelgaard
    Vestas Wind Systems A/S
  • 10-24-2005 10:33 AM In reply to

I have moved the discussion here since it has turned into a Web Service related topic:

http://www.infopathdev.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1115

Best regards

Emil Moelgaard
    Vestas Wind Systems A/S
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.