Attachment size limit - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Attachment size limit

Last post 01-19-2012 01:39 PM by meyerdenney. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2011 02:40 AM

Attachment size limit

Hi,

We encountered a attachment size limit issue when we tried to upload >3MB attachments. The error is:

InfoPath cannot submit the form.
    An error occurred while the form was being submitted.
    The SOAP response indicates that an error occurred on the server:

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: There was an exception running the extensions specified in the config file. ---> System.Web.HttpException: Maximum request length exceeded.
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
       at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_InputStream()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.Initialize()
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapServerProtocol.Initialize()
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocol.SetContext(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.ServerProtocolFactory.Create(Type type, HttpContext context, HttpRequest request, HttpResponse response, Boolean& abortProcessing)

We did some looking up and had advice telling us to increase the max request length in web.config or machine.config in our \microsoft.net\...\config folder. However, we could not find the parameter to increase max length. Did anyone meet this issue before and managed to resolve it?

Thanks for any help,

Zhen Yuan

• 01-05-2011 06:04 AM In reply to

Hi Zhen Yuan!

Have you read Mel's document: http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/miscellaneous/entry39165.aspx

I think this will suffice. If not, let me know and I'll look deeper.

Yours truly,

Patrick

Patrick Halstead
    Project Manager at Qdabra
  • 01-06-2011 02:43 AM In reply to

Hi Patrick,

Thanks! It works! But somehow I am unable to upload a single document that is larger than 20MB despite setting my limit at 30MB. The error message on submit is:

InfoPath cannot submit the form.
    An error occurred while the form was being submitted.
    InfoPath either cannot connect to the data source or the service has timed out.

But it can't be a time out because this message appears almost immediately on submit. Weird thing is, I am able to upload multiple documents up to a total size of 30MB as long as no individual files are >20MB. Any clues on what is giving me this error?

Thanks,

Zhen Yuan

• 01-06-2011 06:57 AM In reply to

No clue, buit I will ask one of our system experts to reply.

Patrick Halstead
  • 01-06-2011 09:30 PM In reply to

This could be caused by a few things.  One, it could be you are hitting the execution timeout limit.  The exeuctionTimeout default is 110 seconds. 

This is 30MB request maxiumum with a 10 minute execution timeout.

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="30720" executionTimeout="600" />

Another issue may be a limit with the server software.  If using SharePoint, there is a separate setting in which can limit the size of files which can be uploaded.

• 01-06-2011 11:04 PM In reply to

Hi Jim,

Coincidentally, I already have my runtime settings to maxRequestLength="30720" executionTimeout="600" when I hit this issue. Shouldn't be a timeout as the error reply is within 3seconds upon my form submission.

We are not using sharepoint. Just a webserver hosting DBXL connecting to a MS SQL 2008 database. Does DBXL have such a setting?

• 01-07-2011 04:52 AM In reply to

hi again,

which web.config did you modify? the one in the QdabraWebServices folder or the one above it? Can you attach the web.config?

Patrick Halstead
  • 01-07-2011 10:47 AM In reply to

DBXL does not have an internal setting, it is only restricted by the web.config setting.  If the error is occuring after DBXL receives the submission, you should see something in the Qdabra eventlog. 

The <httpRuntime> entry is inherited from the parent if not overridden.  Please check the web.config in the QdabraWebService folder and the web.config of the parent folder.  If the maxRequestLength in the parent is 30720 and the maxRequestLength in the web.config of the QdabraWebService folder is 10000, then the limit will be 10000.   This limit is outside of DBXL and will not generate an erorr in the DBXL logs, as the connection will be dropped before DBXL is involved.  This setting helps prevent denial of service attacks.

• 01-18-2012 01:33 PM In reply to

Patrick Halstead:

Hi Zhen Yuan!

Have you read Mel's document: http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/other_subjects/entry74119.aspx

I think this will suffice. If not, let me know and I'll look deeper.

Yours truly,

Patrick

That link you posted no longer works. Do you have another one or a cached copy?
    Filed under:
  • 01-19-2012 07:23 AM In reply to

Thanks. We fixed the link. Please try again.
    Patrick Halstead
  • 01-19-2012 01:14 PM In reply to

Patrick Halstead:
    Thanks. We fixed the link. Please try again.
    I am sorry I'm still having trouble loading the link. http://www.infopathdev.com/files/folders/miscellaneous/entry39165.aspx
  • 01-19-2012 01:30 PM In reply to

Jimmy Rishe / Software Developer / Microsoft MVP
    Qdabra Software
  • 01-19-2012 01:39 PM In reply to

You are right it does work. I tried deleting my previous comment but couldn't for some reason. Feel free to delete this one and my previous one for sake of clarity.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.