Can "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool" do this? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Can "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool" do this?

Last post 04-23-2010 04:02 PM by Ted Fitch. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 04-23-2010 02:10 AM

Can "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool" do this?

Hi,

I have a task and below are the requirements. Before downloading Qdabra "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool", I would like to check with you if I may achieve this with this tool.

I need to create an InfoPath form that will transfer the SharePoint list from one to the other. I have access to 2 SharePoint lists that are sitting on 2 different servers where I have 2 different credentials. Let's call them ListA and ListB. ListA is sitting on a publicly available server where I do not have direct access to the server but I may access the SharePoint list with the web browser and see the content of the list. ListB is sitting on an internal server where I have "Farm Administrator" rights. Again, the credentials I use on ListA and ListB are different as they are on different domains, different environments and different platforms.

My purpose is, to launch the InfoPath form that will retrieve the information from the ListA to my InfoPath form and then copy this content to ListB on a different SharePoint server. The purpose is not to transfer the content once but also use it to update the list. ListA is managed by another person where they do regular updates, my purpose is to have these updates and copy over to ListB which I am owning. I created a data connection on my InfoPath form to retrieve XML(from ListA) and I use the link below;

http://www.ServerA.com/subweb/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll?Cmd=Display&List={XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}&View={XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}&XMLDATA=TRUE  

This way, when I create a "Repeating Table" by using this secondary connection(coming from ListA), I can see the content of ListA. But how can I upload this content(coming from ListA) to the ListB?

Preferably I also want to have a kind of comprasion and a kind of update after the sucessfull transfer. For example, ListA has 25 rows and 10 columns. Once I launch the InfoPath form and press "Submit", it will copy 25 rows from ListA to the ListB. After few days, if ListA will have 3 more rows that makes the total 28 rows, I will launch my InfoPath form, it will do a quick compare and it will add these 3 rows to the ListB and then will tell me "3 new rows have been added".

Now after all these requirements, can you say that Qdabra "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool" is what I need? I am hoping to get more details instead of just "YES". Is there any tutorial around that I may use or any other reference?

Thank you very much.

• 04-23-2010 04:02 PM In reply to

Re: Can "InfoPath to SharePoint List Tool" do this?

Hi, yes you can do this.  You need to buy our qRules tool however not the SharePoint list tool.  You will use the SharePoint list tool but it is bundled with qRules so you don't need to buy it by itself.

Here the rough steps to do this:

1. Add qRules to form
    2. Add data connection to get data from List A (may want to leverage FilterOwssvr)
    3. Use “Copy Table” to copy rows from List A into main data source
      1. You'll need to have a way to know if the rows are already in the main data source, so your CopyTable command will have to be filtered – perhaps there is some combination of unique values in the list?
      2. You'll need an Id column for your list – The ShP list will have one, you can copy table into your main data source and then clear it out so that you doesn’t store the original list Ids
      3. If you kept the Id from the original list, that would be a great way to address point 1 above, BUT with CopyTable you needs to have the same # of elements / attributes in the original data source and the one you are copying into. That may mean repurposing a column from your orginal ShP list to store the Ids from your new ShP list
    4. Use “SubmitToSharePointList” and the optional /id parameter to submit your items in your form to your new lista.       Save your filled out form and re-open the xml each time you wants to update List B

Hope that helps.  If after purchasing qRules you have issues following these steps we can help you but since this is not an "out of the box" use of qRules you would need to purchase some support credits for us to help you configured qRules to do this for you.

Ted

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.