Access to create a workflow in a Sharepoint 2007 Folder / Granted "Full Control" - possible at all? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Access to create a workflow in a Sharepoint 2007 Folder / Granted "Full Control" - possible at all?

Last post 02-10-2009 11:17 AM by Gislo. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-09-2009 07:05 AM

• Gislo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-17-2009
    • Posts 3

Access to create a workflow in a Sharepoint 2007 Folder / Granted "Full Control" - possible at all?

Hi all,
    I am running out of search-words and frustration is building!

Trying to create a workflow but have problem with the access/ability to create one.

• We use Sharepoint 2007
    • We have created a "forms" folder named "Test" 
    • I have been granted "Full control" to this folder

The Problem:
    • When trying to create a workflow via Folder Test > Settings > Workflow Settings> I get an error msg: 
      "error, access denied"
      Request access.

- Must I be some kind of site admin to be able to create workflows in a specific folder?
    - There might be some problems with giving me full rights to the complete site, so if there is a way to go around this I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Best Regards / Gislo, Sweden

• 02-09-2009 09:36 AM In reply to

Re: Access to create a workflow in a Sharepoint 2007 Folder / Granted "Full Control" - possible at all?

Hi Gislo,

Depending on how your administrator set up the permissions, you should be able to start workflows as a contributor (edit content).  To start the workflow, you will need edit permissions on the entire library as well as any lists that the workflow affects. This includes the task list targeted by the workflow, and any other lists the workflow is writing to. If you only have edit rights on the library you are initiating the workflow on, you will get an access denied.

Janice Thorne Microsoft Certified Professional

Qdabra / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 02-09-2009 10:23 AM In reply to

• Gislo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-17-2009
    • Posts 3

Re: Access to create a workflow in a Sharepoint 2007 Folder / Granted "Full Control" - possible at all?

Hi Janice,
    Thank you for taking your time to answer my question!
     I do have some follow up questions if you or anyone else may....

• I have been told that the Permission-groups are default, that came with the installation.
      This is what I could find that describes "Contributor": (I am not contributor myself today...)
      "You have the Contribute permission level
      If you can view the site and change the content on the site, but not make changes to the site, you belong to Members group which has the Contribute permission level."
      - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepointserver/HA102371171033.aspx?pid=CH101248581033
    • Lets say I do ask for contributor-access to the site. Wouldnt security normally be an issue here?
      Example:
      I belong to division X within the company. Division Y that also has projects on the server have some very sensitive information that shouldnt be seen by ie. myself.

As an administrator, how do you then go about solving this issue? Make sure that X cant access division Y's information - but still have both teams granted contributor levels?
      - Create a second site? Maybe one for each division, linking them somehow? Or is there another option...
      Edit: Hm, made me think. I have noticed some folders have passwords. As a Contributor I cant automatically access those folders, right? So a passworded folder or project would not be a problem?

As you can probably tell my knowledge of MOSS so far is very slim, my main problem is that the same goes for our IT-dept that is also somewhat new to this application! I need to pitch ideas that they might buy as I am not senior enough to be trustworthy of all information within the company.

Any suggestions are welcome, except have the administratos create the workflow themselves... my target is to have my own controll (^^,)
    Thanks!

Kind Regards/Gislo, Sweden

• 02-09-2009 02:41 PM In reply to

Sharepoint 2007 has very fined-grained permissions. (I am assuming that is what you are using. If you are using SharePoint 2003, fine-grained permissions do not exist.) In 2007, you can access any folder or library that you have access on. If you have read access, you will not be able to make changes.  In any given site or sub-site, you can have an administrator give you contributor access to lists (like libraries and task lists) while you still have read-only permissions on the entire site. So in the site for Division X for Library1 and TaskList1 you may have Contributor permissions, but on Library2 and EventList2 you will only be able to read items. If you have a sub-site of your main site - like (http://myportal/subsite/default.aspx) you can have your administrator give you permissions to contribute on the entire site. Then you can have Division Y information be in another site and they don't have to worry about security for that site. The thing to make sure of, is that workflow (even OOB) will access many lists, not just the library the workflow runs on. It is important to ensure you have the appropriate access on all of those lists in order to start the workflow.

As for the passwords, I am guessing that if it is prompting you for a password, you do not have access. You should not have to sign in when you want to access content.

Janice Thorne Microsoft Certified Professional

Qdabra / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 02-10-2009 11:17 AM In reply to

• Gislo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 01-17-2009
    • Posts 3

Thanks again Janice for your time.
    I managed to get some more permission today and hopefully the next couple of weeks will give me some new learnings. Access helps alot.

Cheers/Tobbe, Sweden

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.