Problem adding web part to Sharepoint 2007 - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Problem adding web part to Sharepoint 2007

Last post 10-14-2008 06:37 PM by Tom Lawrence. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-10-2008 07:54 AM

Problem adding web part to Sharepoint 2007

Hi Everyone,

I am currently evaluating Qdabra DBXL and am having trouble installing the custom web part. My problem is specifically  4e of the instructions. I scroll down and Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.MyFormsWebPart is not there. I have followed the instructions exactly step by step, and checked each part. I have reviewed the Event logs of the machine and can see no problem that would cause this.  The dll is in the bin directory (with config), I have added the safecontrol line to web.config, have added the dll to the GAC, rebooted and still cannot see Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.MyFormsWebPart in instruction 4e below. Has anyone run into this issue before, or have other things I could try to resolve this? I would really like to evaluate this software.

Thanks for your help.

Andy

4.      Add the DBXL My Forms Web part to the SharePoint Web Part Gallery:

a.       Open your SharePoint site by entering URL http://servername in Internet Explorer.

b.      Click Site Actions at the top left of the page, select Site Settings, and select Modify All Site Settings.

c.        Click Web Parts under Galleries column.

d.      Click New.

e.       Scroll down and check Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.MyFormsWebPart.

• 10-10-2008 09:21 AM In reply to

Re: Problem adding web part to Sharepoint 2007

Hi, Andy:

Sorry you are having trouble. Which instructions are you using for this? When I looked at the documentation for DBXL v2.2, I see:

SharePoint 2007

1. Add the new MyFormsWebPart to a page

a. Click on Site Actions and then click on Create.
    b. Click on Web Part Page under Web Pages.
    c. Enter the name of the new web part page.
    d. Under Choose a Layout Template select Full Page, Vertical and then click the Create button.
    e. Click Add a Web part.
    f. Under the Miscellaneous category, select the checkbox for MyFormsWebPart and then click the Add button.

2. Configure the My Forms Web Part

a. In the MyFormsWebPart title bar click Edit and then click Modify Shared Web Part.
    b. Change the Web Service URL to the correct URL for your instance of DBXL. Click Apply.
    c. Select the Document Type for the Expense Report template you deployed to DBXL and uncheck Show Only My Documents. Click OK.
    d. Click on Edit in the MyForms Web part and click Modify Shared web part.
    e. Click on the + sign next to Appearance and change the value in the Title text box to Expense Report.
    f. Scroll up to the Column Display Selector area and uncheck all the checkboxes for the columns you do not want to see. Change the ordering of the columns as desired and click OK when finished.  

I'm wondering if perhaps the instructions you are using are outdated...

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-10-2008 09:57 AM In reply to

Oops, the instructions I posted above are for after installation. Here are the instructions for add the web part in ShP 2007

SharePoint 2007

1. Copy Web Part Binaries

a. Click on Start > Run.
    b. Enter inetmgr in the Open dialog box and click OK.
    c. Expand Machine name (Local Computer) and then expand Web Sites.
    d. Go to SharePoint (80) and click on Open to go to the appropriate <GUID> directory
    e. Create a directory with the name bin and copy Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.dll and the config file of Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.dll.config
    f. Right click bin and choose Open. Keep this window open for step below.

2. Modify web.config:

a. Move one folder up and open web.config.
    b. Add the Safe control line:
    <SafeControl Assembly="Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms, Version=2.0.0.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3af9aaaa5e0e3242" Namespace="Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms" TypeName="*" Safe="True" />
    c. Save web.config.

3. Add the webpart to the Global Assembly Cache for the local computer:

a. Select Run from the Windows Start menu.
    b. Type cmd and click OK.
    c. Type cd %windir%\assembly and press Enter.
    d. Type start . and press Enter
    e. Drag and drop the Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.dll form the window opened in step 1f above to the new window.

4. Add the DBXL My Forms Web part to the SharePoint Web Part Gallery:

a. Open your SharePoint site by entering URL http://servername in Internet Explorer.
    b. Click Site Actions at the top left of the page, select Site Settings, and select Modify All Site Settings.
    c.  Click Web Parts under Galleries column.
    d. Click New.
    e. Scroll down and check Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.MyFormsWebPart.
    f. Scroll back up and check Overwrite File if It Already Exists.
    g. Click Populate Gallery.

Hilary Stoupa

• 10-10-2008 08:24 PM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for your response. I have already tried those instructions. My problem is that when I get to instruction 4e ' Scroll down and check Qdabra.Dbxl.WebParts.MyForms.MyFormsWebPart.' the web part is not visible for selection. Do you have any suggestions on what I can try to make the web part visible in step 4e? I have tried with dbxl installed in the sharepoint site, and aslo with it installed on the IIS default site.

Thanks,

Andy

• 10-13-2008 03:58 AM In reply to

Hi Andy,

I encountered this same issue with another web part, and found no immediate solution. I tried the steps again the next day and they worked! I'm unable to explain why the web part would not show up on the list initially, or why it would show up on the second attempt. I changed nothing in my DBXL, IIS or SharePoint installations - simply tried it the next morning, and voila!

I'm sorry that I can't provide any more detailed help; perhaps it's just a momentary problem with SharePoint.

The good news is that DBXL v2.3 -coming soon- will free us from the need for SharePoint web parts.

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

• 10-13-2008 10:13 AM In reply to

Thanks for your response Ernesto. I will re-check everything and see if it shows up. I am not sure I really need the web part to do an evaluation anyway. It simply allows us to do from sharepoint what we can already do from DAT correct? If that is so then we can just worry about the web part if we decide to purchase the product and then only if DBXL 2.3 is not out yet.

Thanks,

Andy

• 10-14-2008 06:37 PM In reply to

Regarding the issue Ernesto observed: One thing that can happen relates to the web.config. Since you need to make the web part assembly a "safe control", you usually need to add a <SafeControl/> tag to the SharePoint web.config. Here's an example of one already there:

<SafeControl Assembly="System.Web, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" Namespace="System.Web.UI.WebControls" TypeName="*" Safe="True" AllowRemoteDesigner="True" />

Usually, you need to run iisreset after modifying the web.config. If you don't the change won't be picked up, until some unspecified later time (usually one or a few hours), when the iis worker process (w3wp.exe) recycles and the web.config gets reloaded by the new worker process replacing it. That's probably why Ernesto's scenario started working the next day.

Tom Lawrence
    Qdabra® Software – www.qdabra.com / www.InfoPathDev.com / 877.544.2389
    The InfoPath Authority – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.