Saving to XML offline on a mobile device - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Saving to XML offline on a mobile device

Last post 06-26-2008 07:40 PM by barmatt80. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-23-2008 07:10 AM

Saving to XML offline on a mobile device

Hello,

I'm quite new to Infopath technology so please bear with me on this one. I've have spent last couple of days trying to figure out if IP is something my company could use for the following scenario:

Our mobile device users (or field agents if you like) need to be able to collect data using Infopath forms and save them locally (on the device, preferable in XML format). The problem is Infopath does not support saving of forms in mobile browser mode. Users can save filled-out forms when using proper Infopath software, but you can't get any for mobile devices (There's a piece of software by Formotus, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to use it).

So, to sum it all up, is there any way to save an Infopath form, filled-out on a mobile device (say PDA) in XML format for later processing?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Many thanks,

Kirill

p.s.

I should also mention that our users will have to complete numerous forms (10-20 a day), so submitting each one in turn isn't feasable. If it could be possible to save filled-out forms in xml format to a local folder on the mobile device - that would be perfect. 

• 06-23-2008 10:54 PM In reply to

Re: Saving to XML offline on a mobile device

Off-line is always tough.

I would recommend a cellular modem and keep them online with web forms if possible.

Try www.geoage.com

They do not have InfoPath for mobile but do have an XML form app that allows you to do as you request called FAST.

• 06-24-2008 01:35 AM In reply to

Thanks for your quick response Clay. Unfortunatelly our clients seem to be quite keen on using Infopath, so I have to explore any possibility before suggesting something else to them.

In regards to having forms online - security is going to be a huge concern as the whole lot of other issues like connectivity etc., so if there is a way to do it offline - I've got to try it. 

• 06-24-2008 06:33 AM In reply to

There is not an InfoPath client for Windows mobile. There are probably a few more XML form solutions out there.  I know FAST can integrate with InfoPath once it is off of the mobile and into the backend process. I have worked with them on that.

If they use laptops or tablet PC's they would be fine since they can run the IP client. Then you can use a couple different strategies for providing the off-line functionality they need.

Another option is terminal services, that might make your security simpler.  I still say always having the information on central servers and not on the client devices is a better security model, mobile devices are easy to loose and get stolen and then the data is gone.

Good Luck.

• 06-24-2008 06:43 AM In reply to

Thanks again, Clay. I know we can do the laptops and tablet pc's ok - the back-end integration shouldn't be a problem as long as we can get the xml files on the device. The question remains regarding the pda's - as they are the likely option for our clients. At this stage I'm just doing initial research so might have to get back to them with bad news. Just wanted to make sure there's no work-around.

Many thanks,

Kirill

• 06-24-2008 11:38 AM In reply to

• 06-25-2008 01:31 AM In reply to

Dude, I mentioned Formotus in my initial post. Can't use any third-party - client's request :-(

• 06-26-2008 07:40 PM In reply to

dude, sorry I missed that part, or read it initally when I first saw the post, went on with my job, came back and found that and posted it.

It appears that your client is either trying to massage or persuade a piece of software into their work environment that is not how it was intended.  Obviously it can be done, but could be cheaper in the long run to buy a program specific to the needs than trying to hodge podge it together.  I work for the govt, they always buy what we don' t need and then assign people to make it work the way it wasn't suppose to.  I would personally do some studying and find a better solution, do some cost benefit analysis, etc and propose it, if they say no, so be it, back on track.

I hope we can find a solution to this that is rather easy, as it would be a nice feature to have.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.