Import Excel data in a browser-enabled infopath form - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Import Excel data in a browser-enabled infopath form

Last post 03-09-2009 05:31 AM by victoria13. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-15-2008 07:16 AM

• txc--
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Posts 4

Import Excel data in a browser-enabled infopath form

Hi all,

I have a question about importing data from Excel to a browser-enabled infopath form.

Is this possible? If it's possible what would be the best way to get this done?

I'm also working with a repeating table. If ther are more rows then one in the excel sheet he should add more rows in the repeating table too.

I hope you guys can help me with this issue.

Cheers. 

• 02-15-2008 07:31 AM In reply to

Re: Import Excel data in a browser-enabled infopath form

You want to take data rows from Excel and put them in InfoPath? Or do you want to create an InfoPath form for each row of data in a spreadsheet?

Typically what works best is to use a common data source such as a SQL database that both Excel and InfoPath can then access.  Then the Excel users can view and update and InfoPath can view and update.

Yes if you are dealling with multiple rows the only way to handle it in InfoPath is to have a repeating group.

• 02-15-2008 07:43 AM In reply to

• txc--
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Posts 4

I don't want to creat a new form for every row in Excel. All the information needs to be in one form.

I have to develope something for a company so they get everything structured. There idea is that ther is a button in the InfoPath form with Import Excel. Then all the information in the fields from Excel must going to the InfoPath form.

I had another idea about this. To make a macro in Excel to put all the information directly in the SQL database. Then view it with InfoPath in the right fields. Is this a good way to do it or do you prefer the way you said?

Thanks for your reaction.

• 02-15-2008 08:24 AM In reply to

Ok just checking.

What I would recommend is put the information in SQL. Then have Excel file access the information from there. Once it is setup they will not be able to tell the difference.

Then yes the InfoPath form can have a data connection to the SQl table too.

Is it just to view in InfoPath or will InfoPath users update the information?  You may want to use webservices for increased functionality in InfoPath.

• 02-15-2008 08:34 AM In reply to

• txc--
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 12-20-2007
    • Posts 4

Its not only to view information, users must be able to change the information.

Is it ok that i add you on msn? I have to fix this solution asap.

Thanks for all your help!

• 02-15-2008 08:44 AM In reply to

Ok.

Why don't you send me an email and I can see what I can do.

• 03-05-2009 12:20 AM In reply to

I have a repeating table which gets data dynamically from an SQL database/webservice.

On click of button, I need to transfer data from repeating table to an excel sheet. This has to be done on button click (programatically) and not via the export wizard. Is this possible?

Please help!!

• 03-05-2009 07:59 AM In reply to

I am  not sure your exact requirments but here are some thoughts.

Excel can connect to SQL data directly too. I would flag records and then launch a spreadsheet which queries those records.

Otherwise you could dump an XML file as a subset of your data which then could then be consumed by Excel.

It is pretty dificult.  I am not sure why they want Excel but I would look at an alternative to using Excel which is easier to work with and streamline into the process.

• 03-09-2009 05:31 AM In reply to

Thanks Clay..
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.