Question regarding Email submit button - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Question regarding Email submit button

Last post 02-05-2008 09:09 PM by Clay Fox. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2008 05:12 PM

Question regarding Email submit button

Hey, first post here.

I'm really new to this Infopath stuff so i encounter many problems that i try to fix my self as much as i can. Tho i can't find a solution for this one:

When you add an email Submit button, is there a way to not use outlook to send the form's data to an email adress? Like only press submit and the data of the form would be sent directly without having to pass trough outlook. Because most of my clients won't have outlook anyway.

Thanks, Ulysse

• 02-04-2008 07:59 PM In reply to

Re: Question regarding Email submit button

Hey there!

Welcome to the forum.

InfoPath was built with a very tight integration with Outlook, since it is bundled with it. In fact you even have to use Outlook 2007 with InfoPath 2007.

You can either use code, but this requires full trust for your form, or a server based solution.

With the Database Accelerator you can have the server send the emails rather than the clients. Qdabra Database Accelerator Suite Version 2.1 - Developer

Will the users have InfoPath or are you going to use browser based forms?

• 02-04-2008 08:08 PM In reply to

Hi Ulysse and welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer to this.  You could try making a command-line utility in C# that takes the data as parameters and then sends the e-mail.  However, this would require your form to be Full Trust.

A better way to do it would be to create (or maybe find) a web service that will accept the data to form an e-mail, and then constructs and sends it.  Then, you can add a data connection to this web service and then call it from the form.

Here's a link to something I quickly found: http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread427803.html

Also, our web service, DBXL, provides this functionality in the form on E-mail Notifications.  Read more about it here: http://www.qdabra.com/proddetail.asp?prod=QDBXL1

Matt Faus / Microsoft InfoPath MVP
    Qdabra® Software / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 02-05-2008 06:51 PM In reply to

Clay,

I was thinking of making a standalone application for the form... As i do not currently own a server of my own. So the costumers won't need Infopath....

And by full trust of the form, what do you actually mean?

Thanks very much for helping, by the way :)

• 02-05-2008 09:09 PM In reply to

Inorder for your form code to interact with anything outside of InfoPath the form must have full trust. This is a designation as well as the form must actually be installed on the computer.  There is documentation on how to do this.  The installation does not include the InfoPath application. So the recipient must have InfoPath to open the installed form template.

Your best bet, if this is going to have a wide distribution, is to have a server that has web based forms so that non InfoPath users can complete your forms and email can be generated via the server. You can use a hosted solution for this if you do not have your own server.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.