cascading dropdowns - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

cascading dropdowns

Last post 01-28-2008 09:01 PM by Matt Faus. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-28-2008 08:39 AM

cascading dropdowns

Hello,

I am having trouble getting my cascading drown downs to work correctly.  I have two Sharepoint lists, the first has is called Clients, which has a list of all of our clients.  The second list is called Client_Projects.  This list uses the first list of clients and assigns projects to them.  On my infopath form, I have a repeating section, of Clients and Projects.  The drop down is called Client_list.  I have been unable to get the cascading lists to work correctly so far.  Any ideas?  I have been trying to figure this out for a while now.  Also, I have read some information that said that you can't use filters in a browser form.  You can only use conditional formmatting?  Is this true?  I would like to run my form in a browser eventually?

Thanks, Stephanie

• 01-28-2008 12:10 PM In reply to

Hi Stephanie,

We have written 4 different tutorials on cascading drop-downs.  Have you seen them?

http://www.infopathdev.com/search/SearchResults.aspx?q=cascading+drop+down

If you are still having problems, can you give us a little bit more information about your schema and objectives?  Why do you have repeating sections of clients and projects in your form?  I thought you would be pulling all of those down from the SharePoint library.

Matt Faus / Microsoft InfoPath MVP
    Qdabra® Software / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 01-28-2008 12:11 PM In reply to

Also, if you plan to use your form in the browser, make sure you are designing the form with the "Enable browser features only" option enabled.  This is shown when you first open InfoPath.

• 01-28-2008 12:28 PM In reply to

Hello,

I have tried the tutorials.  But, I still can't get my drop downs to work.  Sorry if I was unclear about the repeating sections.  I have a repeating table, which has a repeating section.  In the repeating sections are the drop downs for clients, and projects.  I am creating a time card form, so the repeating table is for the user to be able to fill add another row with a new Client and project that they worked at as well as their hours on a certain day for that client.   

The Client drop down is called Client_list, project drop down is called Project_list.  Then I have a secondary data source for the Clients Sharepoint list.  Another secondary data source, called Client_Projects for sharepoint list which contains Clients using the lookup feature and their projects in the list.

Is there any other information I could provide you with?  I turned on the browser option, so now it tells me filters are not supported.  Can you please assist with the cascading drop downs to be viewed in a browser? 

Thanks, Stephanie

• 01-28-2008 08:45 PM In reply to

Ouch.  If filters don't work, you will have a tough time getting cascading drop-downs to work.  I'll ask our resident IPFS expert to comment on any possible workarounds.

• 01-28-2008 09:01 PM In reply to

Looks like David has already written a blog post about this!  Check it out.

http://www.infopathdev.com/blogs/david/archive/2007/08/24/implementing-cascading-dropdowns-in-forms-server.aspx
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.