Adding Tabs (Infopath 2007) - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Adding Tabs (Infopath 2007)

Last post 11-17-2009 02:38 AM by ErnestoM. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 07-13-2007 04:32 AM

Adding Tabs (Infopath 2007)

Can anyone tell me how I would go by Adding Tabs.

Do I have to go do this in the view1.xls? Will Javascript work?

I wanted to use Sections and just show and hide them, but when I add a Section it HAS bound. Why and is there a way to use it for formatting only?

Kind Regards

James

• 07-13-2007 05:41 AM In reply to

Re: Adding Tabs (Infopath 2007)

It is true that section has to be bound. But you can bind it to just about anything and you can also bind several sections to the same node! Just make sure users cannot add/remove them (in section properties) and you should get no adverse effects (you'll have to be a bit careful for InfoPath Forms Server though). Then you can introduce a numeric field in your data source (either main or auxiliary) that specifies which tab is active.

Then you add your tab buttons and get them to set your special field via rules. Finally, you conditionally format each section to show only when that field is a specific number. Done!

David Airapetyan / Software Services Architect
    Qdabra® Software / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 07-17-2007 01:06 AM In reply to

Hey David

Thanx for your reply. I just have a question about this:

Then you can introduce a numeric field in your data source (either main or auxiliary)

Can't I just store it in a unbound textbox on the form, is unbound texboxes even possible.

In my opinion saving the "current" tab in a connection sounds like heavy overkill for just Tabs. Dont you agree?

Kind Regards

James

• 07-17-2007 06:00 AM In reply to

So, InfoPath does like unbound controls in general (the few controls that may be unbound and still function are buttons, hyperlinks and to a certain degree, expression boxes). But when a control is unbound, the very definition of it is that it cannot have XML data so then InfoPath would have to have a mechanism of exposing data stored in unbound controls.

To make the long story short, secondary data sources are exactly this mechanism. It's not really heavy-weight, it's the right solution. Think of it this way: you want a clean separation between your data and your auxiliary data you don't need to persist, such as the current tab index. A secondary data source based off an XML file is an ideal place for it: it's accessible in the same way the main data source is but it does not persist. And it takes 1 minute to create so I don't think it's really an overkill :) You can reuse it for other unbound scenarios as well by adding extra fields to it.

David Airapetyan / Software Services Architect
    Qdabra® Software / Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge
  • 11-16-2009 01:59 PM In reply to

http://infotabs123.codeplex.com/

Here's a quick example.

• 11-17-2009 02:38 AM In reply to

Vertical tabbing:

http://www.infopathdev.com/blogs/mel_balsamo/archive/2009/09/06/create-an-infopath-form-that-switches-views.aspx

Horizontal tabbing:

http://blogs.msdn.com/infopath/archive/2006/05/01/tabs.aspx

Ernesto Machado
    Qdabra® Software/ InfoPathDev.com
    The InfoPath Experts – Streamline data gathering to turn process into knowledge.™

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.