upgrading forms after xml altered - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

upgrading forms after xml altered

Last post 05-15-2007 10:45 AM by Clay Fox. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-15-2007 09:33 AM

upgrading forms after xml altered

I have an xml file containing data similar to those below
    <Survey>
    <QuestionID>1</QuestionID>
    <Question>Date Joined?</Question>
    <Date></Date>
    </Survey>
    <Survey>
    <QuestionID>2</QuestionID>
    <Question>Date Moved?</Question>
    <Date></Date>
    </Survey>

I have created a form using this xml document as the basis for my form, choosing yes when the "use values in the xml file as the default data in your form", published it a sharepoint folder and have several xml docs saved in this folder using the form.

I now need to add several new questions to be answered into the form
    I extract the files, update the files with the new questions, republish - all ok. New questions showing in new forms created.

Making changes to the form, such as colours and layouts will appear in the files saved using the orginal form, but not the new questions..... How do i get these new questions to appear in the files that have already been saved on the sharepoint site using the original form?

What am I doing wrong? :-)

Oh and I'm using InfoPath 2003 

Many Thanks

• 05-15-2007 10:45 AM In reply to

Re: upgrading forms after xml altered

Hey Subwayboy - Welcome to the forums.

A couple thoughts I had:

1. If this is just a simple survey with simple questions and answers have you looked at SharePoint's survey web part?  It would do what you describe and have all of the typical survey functionality.

2. If you want to use InfoPath then I would suggest putting your Question data in a SharePoint list control and then connecting to it there for your form.  This makes the modification of the questions and the access of the questions much simpler for your users.

As far as the issue you are seeing, I have not used an xml as the main source before but this is not a dynamic data source.  Meaning your xml file is used as the starting data but then new data is added to it and only a new form gets the new data layout. On your existing forms, since they already contain data, it does not overwrite this with your new questions.  What you would need to do is seperate your questions from your answers.  That would give you the functionality you are looking for.  You should have your xml list or question list from SharePoint as a secondary connection.  Then store the user's reponses in the main data source.  You could use the list to seed the main data source but you would want these independent.  

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.