InfoPath is not producing window to select a certificate - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath is not producing window to select a certificate

Last post 08-12-2022 03:54 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2022 11:17 AM

InfoPath is not producing window to select a certificate

I am editing a InfoPath 2013 form created by another user. When I opened the form I get "The selected form cannot be opened correctly because i was signed with a certificate that is either expired, revoked, not available on the machine, or is not a code signing certificate. To remove the certificate and open the form, click OK." So I need to make changes I click OK. When I finish my changes and attempt to sign the form and press the "Select a Certificate" button nothing appears to happen. If I then select OK I get the message to "Select a Certificate", except I cannot. The dialog window never appears. The certificate is not expired, revoked or not a code signing certificate. That implies that it is not available on my Machine. I have installed the certificate on my machine using the "Certmgr.exe". When I access the InfoPath Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings I see the certificate there, however it is not issued to me. I also see several other certificates. Someone on our team suggested that I try to create a "self-signed cert" within InfoPath and see if that would unlock the mysteries of the Certificate gathering and attaching wizard to locate the other certificates installed on my machine. After doing that when I press the "Select a Certificate" button the self signed cert is automatically selected as the cert to attach to the form. I am not allowed to "Select" a different cert, it just want to attach the test self signed cert. So now I am doubly screwed as I cannot attach the cert that was on the form originally, nor can I publish this form with an untrusted CA Root Certificate. So now I need 2 things. Remove any reference to this self signed cert and allow the selection of the 1 true cert.
  • 08-11-2022 11:35 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath is not producing window to select a certificate

When you installed the cert on your machine - did you install to the local machine cert store or the personal (user) cert store? I ask because checking my machine, the certs available to me in InfoPath are in CurrentUser / Personal / Certificates. They either have an intended purpose of Code Signing or All.... and just to clarify, when you say you aren't allowed to select a cert, is it just that there no other certs available under "more choices" when you select?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-11-2022 11:54 AM In reply to

1) In the Certificate manager it is under the Certificates - Local Computer > Personal > Certificates. 2) The purpose is: A) Ensures software came from software publisher & B) Protects software from alteration after publication. 3) The dialog box or window used to select a cert is not viewable. I literally cannot select a cert as there is no means to select one.
  • 08-11-2022 11:56 AM In reply to

I think it needs to be in the current user's cert store and not the local computer cert store on the machine where you are designing the form. At least - that's what I found on my machine. Only certs in the current user's cert store could be selected.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-11-2022 12:20 PM In reply to

I have exported the cert from the computer, and imported it into Personal. I also deleted the Created Self Certificate, so it is not defaulting to that certificate and when I click on the "Select Certificate" button nothing happens, no dialog box or window to select a cert.
  • 08-11-2022 02:10 PM In reply to

I'm not sure why clicking on Select isn't doing anything. I am also using InfoPath 2013. Later today or tomorrow, I'll export my certs then remove them and see if I can repro this behavior. If you run MMC > add snap in > Certificates, and select "my user account" you see the cert in your Personal > Certificates?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-12-2022 03:54 PM In reply to

Okay, I confirmed that if I have no appropriate certs in my Current User cert store, the same thing happens for me - clicking select does nothing. The cert needs to be imported for the Current User for InfoPath to use it - or at least that was the outcome for me, on my machine.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.