Configuring Sharepoint for Infopath - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Configuring Sharepoint for Infopath

Last post 11-04-2021 02:22 PM by lou d. 28 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-22-2021 09:07 AM In reply to

Re: Configuring Sharepoint for Infopath

About halfway down this page: https://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/31675/107966.aspx there is a reply from me w/ a screenshot - looks like at that time I suggested using the mapped drive letter on the earlier dialog in the publishing wizard but the full path on the later screen. This may help.

Hilary Stoupa

• 09-22-2021 11:52 AM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Thanks. I published it, but now even when I double click on it from the network drive to launch it, I get the message "This form cannot be opened because it requires the domain permission level and it currently has restricted permission. To fix this problem, open the form from the location it was published to". It also says "Forms that require the domain permission level contain features that access information on a network, such as data connections, linked images, and code." Does anyone wanting to use need admin authority to the drive? Thanks
  • 09-22-2021 12:03 PM In reply to

No - they shouldn't need admin access to the drive. You might want to check the form options > security and make sure that it is set to automatically determine the security level, then republish it. The message you are getting is one I usually have seen when someone is opening a saved XSN instead of a published XSN. I don't have a network share to test any of this on, unfortunately.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-22-2021 12:13 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Thanks. I opened the from on my laptop, which is where I published it from and I checked the Form Options--> Security and Trust, and it is set to automatically determine security level
  • 09-24-2021 01:55 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

I was able to get around this problem. However, whenever any user tries to use it, it always tries to connect with their ID instead of the one I embedded into the data connections. If the user has access to the database it works, but most users do not, so it fails when it tries to connect to the database with their ID. When they launch it they first get a message saying "You are currently working offline". They click on 'try to connect' and when they do it says they don't have access because it's trying to connect with their ID instead of the one I embedded. I went into each data connection, clicked on Modify, then clicked Change Database, then selected the database, and then I get a screen to put in an ID and password. this is where I type in the service account instead of my own. It accepts it, but then the next screen asks me to select a table from a list of the tables in the database. But since I put in my own SQL, I just close that window and continue on. I make sure the SQL is there and I click on the button to test it and it says the test was successful. I save the form, overwriting the previous one, and then ask the user to try it but it still tries to connect with their id instead of the imbedded one. Thanks
  • 09-27-2021 07:27 AM In reply to

If this were my form, I would save the form as source files and check the SQL data connection in the manifest.xsf file to see if the credentials were actually there, because as you describe the symptom, it sounds as if they are not.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-27-2021 01:12 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

I right clicked and selected Design to open the form on the network, and then I selected Save As. I don't see an option to save the form as source files. And should I be doing this from the version on my pc instead of the network drive? and how do I check the data connection in the manifest.xsf file? I don't see a file named this way. Thanks
  • 09-27-2021 02:19 PM In reply to

To save the form as source files, go to the publish menu. There is an option there to export the form to source files. Do not do this with the published form - just your local copy. Then you'll find the manifest.xsf file in the saved files. Probably easiest to search for the name of your SQL server and then you should be able to find the connection string. I set up a test form with a connection with saved creds so I could include some screenshots for you. The first two are from setting up the data connection and the third image shows the connection string in the form.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-27-2021 03:04 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Thanks. I do see the manifest.xsf file. I opened it in Notepad and search for Connectionstring. I do see information for each connection to SQL server, but I do not see anything that shows what ID is connecting. I do see the SQL. Here is the text I see for one of my connections. I have asterisked out some information that may be confidential, and I have removed the SQL statement. Thanks for any assistance! Lou
  • 09-27-2021 03:16 PM In reply to

So - you could try manually modifying that connection string to use the credentials you want.

Remove:

Integrated Security=SSPI;

Replace with the SQL credentials you want to use:

Password=YOURPASSWORD;User ID=YOURUSERID;

Save the changes to manifest.xsf. Close it. Right click on manifest.xsf and select Design - it will open in design mode. Don't overwrite your original file, just in case something is not right, but use File > Save As to save as an XSN again. Then you can try previewing and make sure it works, or publish it and have someone test it who doesn't have access to the database. 

Hilary Stoupa

• 09-27-2021 03:38 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Thanks. I made the changes and tested it out on my PC and it works fine. I published it, and asked one of my users to test it out tomorrow. Appreciate all the help! Lou
  • 09-29-2021 06:34 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Thank you Hilary. This worked perfectly. Testers can launch it with no issues. Lou
  • 09-30-2021 07:37 AM In reply to

Excellent. For whatever reason, it looks like the form hadn't saved those credentials you wanted to use - we generally shouldn't have to manually modify InfoPath form files, but sometimes it is the fastest way to fix a problem....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-04-2021 02:22 PM In reply to

• lou d
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on 07-27-2021
    • Posts 34

Hello, I have an infopath form to which I want to add a link to a Word or PDF document that resides on the same network drive as the form itself. The document is basically just a glossary of terms that will help the person filling out the form. I'm thinking to add a button (labeled 'Click to Open Glossary of Terms Document'), which opens the document and the document would stay open until the user is done filling out the form. How do I do this? Thru hyperlinks, or is there a way to just attach the document onto the form where the user can double click on it to open? Thanks for any suggestions..Lou
Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.