Linking two different lists and forms - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Linking two different lists and forms

Last post 06-18-2021 04:37 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-15-2021 10:50 AM

Linking two different lists and forms

I have an existing SharePoint/InfoPath/Power BI tool that has been in use for years in North America, and I have been instructed to roll it out globally. The existing tool is HUGE and I am quite certain I am near absolute capacity (column-wise) with 280 columns, so the one section that I think is most likely to require additions to suit legal requirements in each region is a checklist that I plan on breaking out into a totally separate list and form. This should enable more flexibility without worrying about a ton of work and then having SharePoint reject publishing the form. I only give that background by way of asking: since there will be two different lists and forms, but each with one entry devoted to the same build unit, I am looking for a way to somehow "link" the two. One idea I have in mind: have a simple button in the "main" form that (when pressed) just opens the checklist list, where they create a new entry, then (when saved) copy the URL into a dialog in the main form. This seems kind of crude, but I am not sure that InfoPath has the ability to automate this any better. For example, if I pasted a link, could I make a different button open the list entry directly, without copying and pasting a link? Any other, better ways that I could link specific entries in a list to each other?
    Filed under: , ,
  • 06-18-2021 04:37 PM In reply to

Re: Linking two different lists and forms

Yeah, this is not something out of the box InfoPath is going to handle very gracefully, unfortunately. I guess your second list could have a lookup to the first form library, so your user could explicitly select the correct related form... and then in the main form, you could query for the related list item in order to get the link(s) back... that also relies on the user doing the right thing tho... :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.