Multiple Repeating Tables in Lists - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Multiple Repeating Tables in Lists

Last post 03-01-2021 07:49 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-23-2021 05:27 PM

Multiple Repeating Tables in Lists

I am creating a form in Lists with 3 sections. First section has institution and date only. Need data listed only once, thus non-repeating. The next two sections have 6 fields. The second section only needs a maximum of 5 lines. The third section can have up to 10 lines. Here are my areas that I need help. 1. I got the first section to not repeat on the form, but in the database, I need it to copy the data input from the field filled in, but it does not. 2. How can I get the second section to stop repeating as we keep filling out the lengthier third section? Thanks, Charles
    Charles R
  • 02-24-2021 07:26 AM In reply to

Re: Multiple Repeating Tables in Lists

For the section with 5 lines - how does that data relate to the rest of the data entered (the up to 10 lines piece)? For copying the data from the section you are displaying only one time, change your submit to use rules, and as one one of the rules, set the field in the main data source to the value of the field in the main data source (i.e. set Institution to Institution and Date to Date). Sounds weird, but what InfoPath will do is set all the instances of the field to the value of the first instance. I'm assuming you are displaying the first instance of the repeating element for the first section? Does that make sense?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-24-2021 09:39 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary, Thank you for taking the time to respond. Here are my responses to your two questions: 1. "For the section with 5 lines - how does that data relate to the rest of the data entered (the up to 10 lines piece)?" - The 5 line and the 10 line sections are not directly related to each other. They are part of the same overall report. 2. "For copying the data from the section you are displaying only one time, change your submit to use rules, and as one one of the rules, set the field in the main data source to the value of the field in the main data source (i.e. set Institution to Institution and Date to Date). Sounds weird, but what InfoPath will do is set all the instances of the field to the value of the first instance. I'm assuming you are displaying the first instance of the repeating element for the first section?" -- I set the rule to "Institution" = "Institution". I must be doing something wrong, as in the list it did not copy down the entry from the first entry. I am using drop down options in the two fields in the first section that is not to repeat. Charles
    Charles R
  • 02-24-2021 11:39 AM In reply to

Can I see a copy of your form? You can attach it under the Options tab in a reply.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-24-2021 04:18 PM In reply to

Please see attached. Appears I can only upload one at a time. Thanks Charles Richey
    Charles R
  • 02-24-2021 04:20 PM In reply to

The original form is very basic. The expanded form is what I am sending you photos of. Thank you, Charles Richey
    Charles R
  • 02-24-2021 04:56 PM In reply to

Thanks - what would be helpful for me would be to see the actual template? The XSN?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-24-2021 05:23 PM In reply to

I am unable to attach the XSN, but it is 590 kb. I am only allowed to upload 500 kb. Any alternate way to send?
    Charles R
  • 02-24-2021 05:30 PM In reply to

I just sent you an email :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-25-2021 02:12 PM In reply to

So - we resolved this via email. In the end, I added a formatting rule on the first repeating section to only display the first instance, and a rule on the second section to only display the first 5 instances. Then on the third section, I added rules to disable insert / delete after 10 rows had been added. Finally, I changed the form's submit logic to use rules. On Submit I added rules to set all instances of the two fields (Industry and Month, I think) to the initial value (the one in the first repeating section). Charles is going to add a rule to include an email submit.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-25-2021 02:19 PM In reply to

Everything has been working perfect. One question, How do I increase the first section beyond 5 and the second section beyond 10, just in case we need more? Everything else is awesome. You have been a life saver for me. Thanks,
    Charles R
  • 02-25-2021 02:31 PM In reply to

The first formatting rule on the second section is: count(preceding-sibling::my:SharePointListItem_RW) > 4

If you increase the 4, you will increase the number of rows displayed.

The second and third section both have rules to disable the insert / delete widget after 10 rows. Right now, that formula is:  count(preceding-sibling::my:SharePointListItem_RW) > 8

It looks like I have an error on the second section and that number is "9" there. Basically, the rule prevents the user from adding rows. But if you want to remove that rule, they can add all the rows they want, or you can increase the 8 in that formula.

Hope that makes sense - I'm glad I was able to help you. 

Hilary Stoupa

• 02-25-2021 02:43 PM In reply to

Thank you. You have helped tremendously. Have a nice rest of your day.
    Charles R
  • 02-26-2021 10:55 PM In reply to

Hi Hilary, I am attempting to add the total at the bottom of each column in of the repeating table. In the footer, I add the fx Calculated Value from the home tab Objects. Then, I set up the calculation by selecting in the insert function category "math" and function "sum". The formula is then sum(field name from above). When I upload it and then pull up the form to try out, the total numbers on the screen are all multiplied by 4, but when I email myself the form with the inflated numbers, the total calculated numbers in the email and on the form are correct, not multiplied by 4. I have tried to fix this, but no luck so far. Thanks, Charles R
    Charles R
  • 03-01-2021 07:49 AM In reply to

Can you email me your latest form? I'll take a look later today. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.