Populating Field Based on Match to Another List - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Populating Field Based on Match to Another List

Last post 02-22-2021 08:39 AM by jbureau77. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-19-2021 11:45 AM

Populating Field Based on Match to Another List

This is one of those times where, I am sure that I am missing some obvious glaring answer and it's just because its the end of the week but... I'm at my wits end and hoping someone in this wonderful community can help. I have a form attached to a SharePoint list. When items are entered into that list (a process outside of the InfoPath form), there is a field called "business" into which an abbreviation is entered. That abbreviation is strictly to control where that list item will appear in a specialized web part page that filters based on it. I don't want users to see that abbreviation as it causes confusion. I would like them to see the non-abbreviated version of the business on the form instead. I have a second simple list that is the abbreviations in one column, and their associated business name in another. What I am trying to do is have it so that when someone opens an item, and they are presented with the InfoPath form in doing so, the matched full business name appears on the form, rather than the abbreviation that was actually entered. Here's a more simplistic breakdown: Item entered into List #1 with ABC in the "business field." I want to call to List #2, which is a full list of all abbreviations with a 2nd column that defines them, have it match that abbreviation to the full business name, and display "Another Business Center" on the form instead of ABC. I've been trying to figure this one out for 2 days and would love any help someone can offer. I am sure its as simple as building the control for the field properly but having it match what was already entered is something I am struggling with. Thanks in advance!
  • 02-22-2021 07:34 AM In reply to

Re: Populating Field Based on Match to Another List

Hi - you need to add a secondary data connection to your list that has the abbreviations and the business names in it. Then, in your form, I'd probably use a calculated value to display the business name for the selected abbreviation. Add a calculated value and click the fx button to open the formula editor. Select the business name from the secondary data connection and click the button to filter data. In the first dropdown, select the abbreviation field from the secondary data source. In the second dropdown, use "is equal to". In the third dropdown, select the abbreviation from the main data source for the form. Effectively, you are saying "I want the Business Name from this secondary data connection list where the abbreviation is equal to the abbreviation in the main data source". Please feel free to attach your form, after creating the secondary data connection, under the options tab in a reply if you need a hand. I am happy to help you with this. :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-22-2021 08:39 AM In reply to

Re: Populating Field Based on Match to Another List

That totally worked! Thank you SO much! I do have a quick follow-up question if you don't mind... If it can't find a match, is there a way to make that formula essentially say to just display the abbreviation that was manually input in that case?
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.