Need to create a form of a lot of fields - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Need to create a form of a lot of fields

Last post 11-19-2020 11:21 AM by saltmu. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-18-2020 10:56 AM

• saltmu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2020
    • Posts 5

Need to create a form of a lot of fields

Hi everyone, I am new here but I saw enough to know that this is the best place to search anything about infopath. I am searching really hard for a solution of this: I need to build a form for a list. The problem is, there are about 120 questions with same 7 set of answers to choose or to fill. For example: Answer1 (drop down with 4 choices) Answer2 (drop down with 2 choices) Answer3 (free textfield) ...Answer7 Question 1 Question 2 Question 3 .. Question 121 I have already tried to create repeating multiple-choice fields and make the connections from the regarding questions like: field Q1.1 read from repeaterfield answer1 field Q2.1 read from repeaterfield answer1 .. I am not even on halfway but I cannot add one more field and I cannot publish my form. It would be really appreciated if you could help on this. Attached print screen makes it little bit clear I hoop.. Regards
  • 11-19-2020 04:01 AM In reply to

• saltmu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2020
    • Posts 5

Re: Need to create a form of a lot of fields

No one, even not Hilary :)??
  • 11-19-2020 07:59 AM In reply to

:) I think you won't be able to use a list form for this, I'm afraid. Have you considered using a library form? And you'll probably want to use a repeating structure (which means you won't have your data flat in a list for reporting either).
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-19-2020 10:10 AM In reply to

• saltmu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2020
    • Posts 5

Hi Hilary, Many thanks for your response. Can you give a little more explanation on library form and that idea to use repeating structure for the 7 standart fields? Best Regards
  • 11-19-2020 10:23 AM In reply to

Here's a sample form I had in my files - right click the linked file, save locally. Right click the saved file and select design, then you can preview. In this sample there is only one "answer" field, using option buttons, but you could easily extend that to add all 7 of your fields. I use default data to include rows by default, and there are screenshots and instructions in the form that may be helpful.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-19-2020 10:48 AM In reply to

• saltmu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2020
    • Posts 5

Thnx Hilary I will try that. Business requires the reporting too so I have to find a hybrid solution I guess. If I can’t get those 7 files in excel I can’t report them too..
  • 11-19-2020 10:59 AM In reply to

Right - so that's the trouble with a repeating structure. But you are constrained by the limits of SharePoint - you can't have as many columns as they want. If you used a form that submits to SQL, you'd be ok - Or, I imagine some reporting tools could read the XML file data into a report that could be exported. Do you use on-prem or online SharePoint?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 11-19-2020 11:21 AM In reply to

• saltmu
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 11-18-2020
    • Posts 5

We are using on-premise sharepoint, managed by our company. I am using Cognos too and it can read an xml file but I have never tried an xml file from sharepoint in Cognos. Cognos creates own xml files with report metadata.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.