InfoPath 2013 Cascading Dropdown Table - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath 2013 Cascading Dropdown Table

Last post 10-16-2020 08:46 AM by gregglw5. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-15-2020 07:49 AM

InfoPath 2013 Cascading Dropdown Table

Trying to get my cascading dropdowns to function properly and I'm having the toughest time. I created 3 list and I'm trying to link them together and I'm having no luck. I feel either my lists aren't setup right or my data connection is wrong. Could someone assist me with this?
  • 10-15-2020 08:19 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath 2013 Cascading Dropdown Table

Sure, I'd be happy to. Do you want to attach a sample form under the options tab in a reply? Or some screenshots, or other info that would help me see where you are stuck? :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-15-2020 08:28 AM In reply to

I have 3 custom list on our SharePoint site.
  • 10-15-2020 08:36 AM In reply to

The file I sent you didn't contain my data connection information, I'll send that to you shortly.
  • 10-15-2020 11:53 AM In reply to

On this form what I'm trying to get it to do is just, for example if you click the dropdown for Line the 165L should only have 5 valve names appear on that dropdown. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but could you help me?
  • 10-15-2020 04:08 PM In reply to

I can try! Looking at your data connection, it appears that "Valve" is a lookup on the Line list, is that correct? I think the issue you may have with your data is that we'd only have one valve that would match on a given line. We select Line from the Line data connection, and if we try to find valves that match, there would be only one - does that make sense? Instead, with Line selected first, I'd think your Valve list would look up to the Line list. That way a given line might have multiple valves....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-15-2020 04:33 PM In reply to

Valve is a lookup on the Line List and it's hard to get a complete understanding of it without actually seeing it.
  • 10-15-2020 04:48 PM In reply to

So, for line 165L, are there 5 valves selected? Or are there 5 entries in Line that are line 165L, and each has a valve?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-15-2020 05:03 PM In reply to

There are 5 entries in Line that are line 165L and each entry does have a valve. Just like the 003L have 8 entries and each have a valve also.
  • 10-15-2020 05:12 PM In reply to

Here's the first infoPath Form I created without any SharePoint List. Sending this so that you could have a look at the Lines and all the Valve Names. Like I stated my goals for this is to have a cascading dropdown where if I choose the 165L there would only be those 5 valves, but I'm stomped on how to achieve that on my form.
  • 10-15-2020 05:12 PM In reply to

Ok, thanks - I can't see the data, because I don't have access to your SharePoint site, so I have to guess a bit. I've tried adding a filter to the Valve dropdown in this copy of the form, but it may take a few tries to get it right, because I can't see your data. To open this file, you need to download it by right clicking the link in the heading of this post, and then selecting your browser's menu option to save the file locally. After you have downloaded the file, right click the saved file and select "Design" to open in InfoPath Designer. Then you can preview it.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-15-2020 05:29 PM In reply to

Thanks. The only thing I didn't see during preview are the valve names. I wish there was a way for me to share the data lists with you. I know this is difficult to do because you can't see the data.
  • 10-15-2020 05:48 PM In reply to

I was able to include the valve names on this attached form. It doesn't have all the lines but I could add them when this gets figured out.
  • 10-16-2020 07:36 AM In reply to

I'm wondering - did you create the lists just for this project? Looking at the data in the original form, where you had the values hard-coded, I do think that the list data structures could better support this if they were related differently. That is, have a lines list that has the distinct lines (no valves) - so there would be one row per line. Then, in your valves list, have a lookup to lines. That would make filtering the valves dropdown much easier.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-16-2020 08:46 AM In reply to

Hello got it taken care of, thanks for your assistance.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.