Changing checkbox option values with existing records.. - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Changing checkbox option values with existing records..

Last post 08-18-2020 08:24 AM by ipisors. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-17-2020 11:42 AM

Changing checkbox option values with existing records..

I hope someone may be able to answer a sharepoint-only question, sorry if it's not OK to post. Ok so I have a column as checkbox choices, with many values. An end user asked me to "correct" a misspelling in one of the choice values. And, there were some records containing the old value. So I went ahead and changed the choice value in the List Settings. Then I went to all records I knew had been affected, and I went ahead and selected the 'new' choice value. Next I thought to consider whether there was some kind of orphan values, a value that no longer exists as a valid value, attached to any record. What I found was conflicting .... 1) on a stack overflow post, someone said that Yes, you will end up with orphan values. 2) in MS Access, with a linked table to sharepoint list, when I open the record, I don't see any of the incorrect value there...it is only a drop-down showing the correct options, and showing my newly selected correct option. 3) When I Export to Excel from SP, I DO still see the old 'bad'/non-existent value, along with the new one also. 4) When I EDIT the SP list in datasheet mode, I DON'T see the bad/non-existent value anywhere there. Can anyone explain all of these contradictions, and let me know if there is any practical reason I still need to worry about this? Or if there is any non-code solution to correct it? Or whether it is going to have any practical bad implications in the first place? (EDIT::: Next time, I know, I ought to have probably DE-SELECTED the old value, prior to REMOVING it from the choices........)
  • 08-18-2020 08:18 AM In reply to

Re: Changing checkbox option values with existing records..

I think you are fine here. I would only have worried about data loss taking the approach you did, but it sounds like you already knew which records needed to have the new option selected.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-18-2020 08:24 AM In reply to

Re: Changing checkbox option values with existing records..

Ok, thanks !!
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.