concat - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

concat

Last post 06-26-2020 01:14 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-25-2020 11:26 AM

concat

I've tried to concat a field to add a colon after the field like this: ": " but it doesn't work. This is what I have: concat(field, ": ") Is there something I'm missing?
  • 06-25-2020 11:36 AM In reply to

Maybe so - this needs to go in the formula editor (so, click on the fx button) and the field needs to be selected with the field picker. See attached screenshot. In this sample, I wanted to set a default value for a field, so in the field's properties, I clicked on the fx button, which opened the formula editor. You can pick the concat function using the insert function button, or just type it in. Select the field using the insert field button - you'll see how it now shows as underlined in the final formula.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-25-2020 11:57 AM In reply to

Thank you for your reply. I did that but it doesn't work. If I check "Refresh value when formula is recalculated" I get a prompt in Sharepoint that I can just click OK but the concat doesn't show.
  • 06-25-2020 12:15 PM In reply to

Can you just attach your form? You can do that under the Options tab in a reply... or maybe a screenshot that shows the issue?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-25-2020 12:19 PM In reply to

omg I just found out what I was doing wrong. I was using the data fields not the query fields. Using the query fields lets me check "refresh..." and not get the error. So sorry but I was confused about query fields and data fields. Now I get it.
  • 06-25-2020 12:21 PM In reply to

Ah, perfect! This must be a list form - and yes, data vs. query can get a little confusing. Glad you have it all sorted out. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-26-2020 12:22 PM In reply to

yesterday it was working but today it's not. Am I supposed to concat on the query fields or the data fields? And what does "refresh value when formula is calculated" do because when I check it that's when I get the error. I'm just trying to display data - not a form for editing.
  • 06-26-2020 12:27 PM In reply to

Is there any chance you can attach a copy of your template under the options tab? Your "concat" formula should be either in the default value for a data field or in a rule on the data field. The field you select in the formula should be a data field - query fields are only for filtering data when we query it. "Refresh value when formula is recalculated" is an option for default values - basically indicating that if the fields in your default value formula change, the field the formula is on should be updated.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-26-2020 12:42 PM In reply to

I attached the template. Trying to concat the BU field with a colon. I would really love to concat the BU Vision field with the BU so I can just put one field on the form so it would look like this: * [BU]: [BU Vision] Thank you so much for your help!
  • 06-26-2020 12:50 PM In reply to

Ah, I see the issue. The default on the field includes the field itself - I'm guessing that's causing the issue. So changing the field, changes its own value - which then would cause the field to change again and so on. What about just using a calculated value to display them together? I've done that in this copy. You'll need to right click the link in the header of this message, and save the attached file to your local machine. Find the saved file, right click and select design - that will open the form back up in design mode. There is a calculated value at the bottom of the form with some notes.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-26-2020 01:04 PM In reply to

YOU ARE A WIZARD! I didn't know about the calculated value. Thank you SO MUCH!
  • 06-26-2020 01:14 PM In reply to

I like calculated values for displaying things like this. As long as it isn't a value you need in your list (like - people want to filter the list data by BU: BU Vision but don't want to have to use two filters or something) you can use calculated values for displaying things the way you want. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.