Repeating Section or Table - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Repeating Section or Table

Last post 05-22-2020 09:16 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-21-2020 02:14 PM

Repeating Section or Table

This feels like a noob question so I'll ask it here. What is the difference between a repeating section and table? Specifically when used to display information from a SharePoint list on an InfoPath form. Thanks
  • 05-21-2020 02:35 PM In reply to

Re: Repeating Section or Table

Just the layout and behavior of the controls in the form. Do a quick experiment with a customized list form - set it up to manage multiple items, drag the repeating data group onto the form, select Repeating Section (with or without controls) for the control type. Then do it again and select repeating table. Repeating sections give you more layout flexibility - but both control types work on the same data structure (a repeating group with fields in it). If you right click your repeating table and select Change Binding, you'll see how it is bound to the group but the columns displayed are also part of the control binding - not so with a section. Setup a test list, add a few fields and then just add both controls to your form and give it a try.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-22-2020 09:00 AM In reply to

thanks! So from what I can tell this returned data in a repeating section/table can't be sorted by me. Is the current sort looking at ID number? or does this come from the current view (sort) on the list? but I'm thinking I could highlight items in the returned data if I use a formatting rule?
  • 05-22-2020 09:16 AM In reply to

I'd guess the main data source is returned sorted on the ID or created date. I don't think there is any way for you to modify this default behavior. You can add formatting rules to most controls, so if you wanted to format a table row or repeating section instance you can.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.