Repeating Section AutoFill - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Repeating Section AutoFill

Last post 05-20-2020 02:02 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-12-2020 09:01 AM

Repeating Section AutoFill

Hi, I've got a repeating section that enters multiple list items, I'm using Preceding Sibling to auto-fill values into new sections which is working great, but I can't seem to make it work for the people picker, is this possible? Thanks EDIT: this has been working great in the preview, but I just published it, and all the values disappear? Will this function not work in browser forms?
  • 05-12-2020 02:56 PM In reply to

Re: Repeating Section AutoFill

You may need to switch from defaults to rules on Submit (although that's just a guess - I know I've been helping someone in another thread where they used defaults and didn't have an issue). You can add rules to the repeating group itself to set fields inside it when a new row is added - see attached sample. You should be able to do that with a people picker as well. Some of this is going to depend on how the form is laid out - if the user can see the repeated data vs. if it is hidden from them.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-13-2020 06:53 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary, you didn't attach anything. I saw a solution for this using a rule button to set fields, does that mean there are three ways to accomplish this? Whats the best way (least intensive for the server)
  • 05-13-2020 08:12 AM In reply to

Oh gee, I didn't even remember to create the sample! The best way depends on your desired result. Setting them on submit is nice if you only are displaying one set of the repeating fields. Then the user doesn't even know / think about what the repeating data that they aren't filling out looks like. Setting them on the insert of the repeating section is nice if the user is going to be able to edit them if needed, or if they are all displayed. I can't think of a case where I'd pick default values, but that is because I don't care for default values in general and in many cases pick rules instead for greater control.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-13-2020 09:07 AM In reply to

this looks perfect, thanks. Although I am curious why this rule triggers, it states it runs when field1 equals "blank". but when I add an item field1 isn't blank? Can't seem to wrap my head around this trigger. Thanks
  • 05-13-2020 09:45 AM In reply to

I don't understand the question. There is no condition on the rule - it just runs when the row is inserted and copies the prior field 1 and field 2 values?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-14-2020 12:29 PM In reply to

ahh, i wasn't looking at it correctly, I understand, Thanks!
  • 05-20-2020 10:25 AM In reply to

In my repeating table I have 9 of 13 fields being copied to the new record. I'm planning on 9 actions on one rule, but I was thinking, is 9 rules with one action each better?
  • 05-20-2020 11:20 AM In reply to

Something strange is happening to the items with this rule in place. it seems like I can add items to the Sharepoint list no problem, but when I open an item up, all the fields get cleared. If I click on edit, there is nothing there and if I save it, it saves them blank.
  • 05-20-2020 11:53 AM In reply to

Oh how awful. SharePoint must be firing the rule on the section when you re-open. I'm not sure what else to suggest at this point - I'll have to try to find time to test some other options, but it may be early next week. Edited to add - you could maybe try adding a condition on the rule to only run if ID is blank.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-20-2020 12:13 PM In reply to

that was exactly what I needed, thank you!! I'm doing some more testing but having the trigger as ID = Blank seems to be the answer :) EDIT: Although this means I have to save an item before I can add sections into the repeating table, because the ID is blank before it gets saved.
  • 05-20-2020 01:03 PM In reply to

well i can say I got it to work, but I can't figure out why. I have the rule trigger when SO_Number is Blank, number is not one of the fields that gets copied. with the rule like this when I add a new item, it copies the values I want from the previous section, to new and old entries alike. opens perfectly to view or edit. thanks again for showing me the way!!
  • 05-20-2020 02:02 PM In reply to

Oh, perfect, glad you found a way to get it to work the way you needed. Sometimes it just takes some experimentation! :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.