Textbox breaking words in half - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Textbox breaking words in half

Last post 05-07-2020 10:01 AM by ipisors. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-06-2020 02:53 PM

Textbox breaking words in half

I have a sinking feeling that this is just 'the way it is'. My textboxes (yes even Multiline ones) break words in half at the end of a row of text. Is this normal??? Goodness even an excel or access form's textbox knows to only display whole words, am I stuck with this OR is there a setting I've missed.
  • 05-07-2020 07:47 AM In reply to

Re: Textbox breaking words in half

Yeah, I've see this happen and it is frustrating. This must be in the browser, right? What version of IP? 2010 or 2013? SharePoint on prem or online? Let me know the details and I can verify I can repro the issue and see if there are any settings that may help (although I vaguely recall just throwing my hands in the air and shaking my head at this issue in the past). :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 08:13 AM In reply to

Yes this is in browser. Infopath 2013. Sharepoint 2010 on prem
  • 05-07-2020 08:19 AM In reply to

Ok - I have a SharePoint 2010 site hanging around somewhere - I'll try this later today and let you know if see anything. Generally, what browser do you use?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 08:31 AM In reply to

Internet Explorer 11 is my company 'gold' standard :)
  • 05-07-2020 08:41 AM In reply to

HAHAHAHAH you do not have it easy do you! SharePoint 2010, IE 11, and tools made of stone with your bare hands. ;)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 08:49 AM In reply to

I know right ... In this situation, I'd rather be able to build them an Access database FE with a SQL Server BE ... it would be so much easier to do pretty much anything we wanted to. But the company is too global and people in far flung locations wouldn't have access to a network folder, or I guess that is the main showstopper, so every time they need a database, really, it's off to a new sharepoint list we go.
  • 05-07-2020 08:56 AM In reply to

Oh - this is something I forgot to ask - are you using list forms here or library forms? Or does the issue exist in both?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 09:03 AM In reply to

When I am viewing the list on SP, I click "Customize in Infopath" ... then I customize it from the default that first pops up. Then when done customizing it, I click the Publish button in Infopath. I am not sure about list forms vs. library forms properly speaking. You can tell I am just beginning at this unfortunately and learning as I go. I do think they are going to migrate us to sp2016 (?) or something like that, pretty soon. And they're going to let go of Infopath finally, but they dont' feel sharepoint designer is secure, so I'm unsure what they're going to pick next.
  • 05-07-2020 09:07 AM In reply to

That's fine - this is a list form then. So in InfoPath, list forms are lists where we used InfoPath to customize the form (like you are describing). There are also forms that you can publish to and submit to form libraries. I was not able to reproduce the issue with text boxes in a library form, so I'll try a list form.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 09:49 AM In reply to

So - here's what I'm seeing w/ a "multiple line of text" control. Can you tell me more about the data types you are using?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 10:01 AM In reply to

Ok on the top of the screen it says single line of text. but in the right click properties of textbox, "multi lines" is checked. I wonder which does what. On the sharepoint site, the column is set to Single Line of Text. But changing it seems to be grayed out. I guess I thought I had this thing set to multi lines because of the right click properties, but maybe this is causing my issue. let me try to change the column on Sharepoint and see what happens
  • 05-07-2020 10:01 AM In reply to

attachment
  • 05-07-2020 10:09 AM In reply to

Yeah, so as far as I could tell that multiple lines setting on regular text boxes did NOTHING in my list form.... so I'd try changing the list, and refreshing the form fields - you'll end up having to replace your text controls in the form too, I think. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-07-2020 10:15 AM In reply to

I finally got it to work. I set the SP field to enhanced rich text and multi line. I then Customized in Infopath and re-set the control and tried it again and now it works. Only annoying thing now is I cannot format the text in the textbox - like I wanted to set the textbox to Bold which is how it was before, but those options are grayed out. Which is weird, since I've selected what sounds like the richest of all text
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.