Maintaining a busy SharePoint site - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Maintaining a busy SharePoint site

Last post 01-27-2020 10:37 AM by granDelimiter. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-27-2020 06:08 AM

Maintaining a busy SharePoint site

Thanks to the help I've found here I'll soon have a site with 6 lists, all with infoPath forms. Technicians will be using it often to enter data. What if I want to change format or structure on one of them? How do I proceed safely? I'm not sure if I need a full "Check out" procedure (although if it was easy I might use that). Maybe notify everyone to avoid use during some 2 hour interval every week? Or, if I am not changing fields, just work when I feel like it. Conflicts are apt to be small and inconsequential? Has anyone experienced this situation? Thanks
  • 01-27-2020 07:56 AM In reply to

Re: Maintaining a busy SharePoint site

If it were mine, I'd save the site as a template and create a "test" version of it. Even though you'd have to duplicate changes manually from one enviro to the other, it would give you a safe place to first try any changes you need to make. Then, you may want to determine a site maintenance window where you can move new changes into production... pick a low use time. For example, maybe you'll notice that data entry has lulls every Thursday at noon, or Tuesdays at 9, or that specific times of day are very busy. Then you can decide that your maintenance windows will be during one of these times, and include that info on the site. Sure, you probably won't need it every week, but start with, a weekly maintenance window is a good idea, while your users are initially getting settled and finding bugs or creating change requests. After your system matures, you may be able to have a monthly maintenance window for pushing changes to production. As a developer, I feel very strongly about not making changes or testing changes directly in a production environment. Creating a test or dev environment gives you the ability to try out changes at a time that suits your schedule, then carefully deploy and unit test them in production during a maintenance window.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-27-2020 10:37 AM In reply to

Re: Maintaining a busy SharePoint site

Will do - all. Thanks
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.