How to show filed value instead of display name for the dropdown box options on Email submissions? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

How to show filed value instead of display name for the dropdown box options on Email submissions?

Last post 01-29-2020 08:51 AM by photonacl. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-16-2020 07:35 AM

How to show filed value instead of display name for the dropdown box options on Email submissions?

Let's say I have a dropdown box with the following options - Display Name: The Golden State | Value: California | Display Name: Old Dominion | Value: Virginia | Display Name: The Lone Star State | Value: Texas | When users fill out the form, they see and pick the display name, after they submit the form the submission is sent via Email. How do I go about making the response to show the Values in the email instead of their Display names?
    Filed under:
  • 01-16-2020 09:18 AM In reply to

Re: How to show filed value instead of display name for the dropdown box options on Email submissions?

I'd either use a specific email view or a little conditional formatting for this. If this is a browser form, using a specific email view is simplest. Just create a new view, and use a calculated value for the dropdown field (which will contain the value). When the form submits, switch to the email view first, then submit. If this is not a browser form, this won't work, and we'll need to take a conditional formatting approach. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-16-2020 10:57 AM In reply to

Re: How to show filed value instead of display name for the dropdown box options on Email submissions?

Thank you Hilary, I tried the "conditional formatting" approach. Basically, I added one more rule before the submitting rule for the submit button. And added the following steps like: // Condition: State1 = "Old Dominion" // Run Type: Action // Run these actions: Set State1 = "Virginia". After the form is submitted, the form response has nothing to show for the dropdown field?
  • 01-20-2020 07:51 AM In reply to

Because you've set the field to an invalid option for the choices available. You really need to use an additional field for this - leave the field bound to the dropdown alone and set your new field on submit - promote the new field. Edited to add: I forgot you are concerned about emailing - if you intend to reset the State 1 value, you need to send the email displaying something other than the dropdown, since the value you are setting it to is not a valid option.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-29-2020 08:51 AM In reply to

Thank you Hilary. I have solved this issue by inserting an extra dropdown (normally hidden), apply rules to translate it and toggle between the two drop downs at Email submission.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.