What is the best approach to downloading a template from a Library? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

What is the best approach to downloading a template from a Library?

Last post 10-21-2019 04:15 AM by merley72. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-17-2019 08:56 AM

What is the best approach to downloading a template from a Library?

Hi there,

For years now I've used Internet Explorer to allow me to download the template held in Libraries where I've 'mislaid' the template or where other Designers have made changes.  With IE I can simply go to the Library's Advanced Setting page, and using the right click option over the '(Edit Template)' link, use the 'Open in new tab' to allow me to download a copy of the design. 

IE will soon become something of the past in my organisation and I'm struggling to work out the best option, as no other browser seems to work in this fashion.

I'm certain I could persuade people to allow me to keep IE, but I'm wondering how other people have/are approaching this problem.

Regards and thanks as always,

Alan C. 

Filed under: , , ,
  • 10-17-2019 09:19 AM In reply to

Re: What is the best approach to downloading a template from a Library?

I hope someone else has a better answer - I'm fortunate that I can just keep IE on my machine for these scenarios. You can get the XSN from SharePoint Designer (also deprecated, but perhaps your IT group won't mind it as much as IE?)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-17-2019 09:52 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary and thanks for the reply.

SharePoint Designer (SPD) was always a 2nd best approach to my mind, and SPD is to be allowed in the future as simple workflows are sometimes needed to supplement the capabilities of the InfoPath forms, and although Flow will do the job, sometimes a SPD workflow is easier. 

Using IE has the added advantage of ensuring that the permissions seem to be inherited correctly (assuming a user has switched to the appropriate Account login first of all in InfoPath 2013), and you get significantly less problems with Publishing if you've downloaded from a Library in the first instance. 

However I just thought I'd check the approach again using SPD now (as I've not used it recently) and I've forgotten how to get the 'All Files' option displaying from within a Site.  Under the Site Objects the last element visible to me is 'Site Groups' followed by 'Subsites' - 'All Files' as an option isn't listed or displayed.  I do remember in the past seeing this though - what have I forgotten please?

Sorry to be such a numpty!

Alan C. 

• 10-17-2019 10:04 AM In reply to

Ohhhh - I didn't do anything at all for it to show up. https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/206575/sharepoint-designer-all-files-missing says that this has to do with settings when you allow the use of SPD.... does the solution there help?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 10-17-2019 10:20 AM In reply to

I'm not certain if this helps or not to be honest as this is accessing an Office 365 instance of SharePoint Online and although I've played in O365 for about 10 years, I've never had to mess at this level before!   I guess I ought to be able to map a drive to a site in a similar fashion but that seems to be a long way round to doing this.

I also did a search around as well for the 'All Files' feature, and came across similar probs with All Files not wanting to display the list of elements in a site etc,  hmmm.   Checking out the link you sent me and trying to follow that will be a problem as I've not got Admin rights to this site.  I do have Admin rights to another O365 instance though, so will check things there and see what that ends up displaying.

Thanks for your assistance and I will report back tomorrow.

Alan C. 

• 10-21-2019 04:15 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,

Thanks again for the link and I've checked a site over which I do have Admin rights, and just using SPD against that I can see the 'All Files' option there.  It has been around for 5+ years, and was originally created with the default settings for an Office 365 site, and I've not changed things in that.  So perhaps the Admin settings on the site I can't see, have been altered from a 'security' perspective - which would probably make sense. 

I'll request that the Admin checks the SPD access under the Web Application settings, and changes them (hopefully allowing me to use SPD against that site!).

I should mention that when I was able to see the 'All Files' option on the site which I own, I then struggled to remember how to download the XSN file.  I ended up clicking on most everything and identified that the 'Export' option was what allowed me to 'download' a copy.  It was a bit hidden though.

Thanks for your assistance and regards.

Alan C. 

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.