Unable to update SharePoint Online list from InfoPath form using CAML - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Unable to update SharePoint Online list from InfoPath form using CAML

Last post 09-12-2019 02:55 PM by NathanWynn. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 09-11-2019 06:25 PM

Unable to update SharePoint Online list from InfoPath form using CAML

I'm very familiar with CAML and able to update SP 2013 list items using CAML.

My organization switched over to SharePoint Online and the procedure doesn't seem to work. Anyone know of the cause and the solution?

My steps:

XML: CAML_OrgCode.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <Batch PreCalc="TRUE" OnError="Continue">
      <Method ID="1" Cmd="Update">
        <Field Name="ID" CopyID="" ></Field>
        <Field Name="OrgCode" CopyOrgCode="" ></Field>
      </Method>
    </Batch>

WS Connection Details:

• Type: Submit Data
    • Web service: site/_vti_bin/lists.asmx?WSDL
    • Operation: UpdateListItems

Parameters:

• tns:listName => Element: pointing to a text field that contains the GUID (including the {})
    • tns:updates => Element: /Bach & Include: XML subtree, including selected element

I do set Field = all the Field Name

Thank you so much for your time!!!

• 09-12-2019 08:29 AM In reply to

Re: Unable to update SharePoint Online list from InfoPath form using CAML

I have bad news. SharePoint Online doesn't allow us to access the lists service from InfoPath. You might try MS Flow - you may be able to get and parse the XML and then write your list items. Our product, FormsViewer, also has functionality built in that allows you to submit items to a SharePoint list (via qRules commands), but you might want to try Flow first. http://buildsharepointconcepts.blogspot.com/2018/05/parse-xml-using-microsoft-flow.html has a simple sample - you'd probably use a Flow triggered by an item being created or modified in your form library, then go from there. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 09-12-2019 09:43 AM In reply to

Thank you Hilary, you have always been so helpful.

It's unfortunate because it was easy and I don't have to learn anything new for the transition.

I self-taught InfoPath and been doing great and building out complex applications using onsite host SP (2013).

Though I feel like I'm holding on to InfoPath a bit longer than I should. Without any prior knowledge regarding new tools such as Flow in SP Online, where should I start to catch on with more current application build-out tools?

I'm with a Federal agency so 3rd parties add-ons aren't very easy to get. I don't even think they have approved Flow to be implemented yet. 

• 09-12-2019 09:54 AM In reply to

Some of our clients are .gov and I believe they have access to Flow now - so you should check your Office Online for it (just click the waffle menu in SharePoint and you should be able to find it under the apps if you have access). Microsoft has some tools and training that may help - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/paths/automate-process-using-flow/ is a good starting point. I encourage you to give Flow a try - it is very accessible and pretty easy to debug compared to some of the tools we've been using (InfoPath, SharePoint Designer Workflows, etc). You could keep using InfoPath and just leverage Flow for the "writing to the list" piece - stuff like loops and so on are trivial in Flow, so it may be a good fill in for this specific piece. We do have .gov clients using FormsViewer too, but I know everyone's process to get access to stuff are different and our current clients may have less onerous requirements. Oh, I should add, the MS forums on Flow are pretty good for answering questions (but you can also ask me - I've used it quite a bit).

Hilary Stoupa

• 09-12-2019 02:55 PM In reply to

Thank you for the information. I just checked and I now see both PowerApps and Flow. I will look into Flow and will contact my Admin on FormsViewer.

Once again, thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.