Creating cascaded menu that uses only one column? - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Creating cascaded menu that uses only one column?

Last post 04-10-2020 08:12 PM by Daryl K. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-08-2019 07:56 AM In reply to

Re: Creating cascaded menu that uses only one column?

No, it doesn't. Granted this form is still in development (so not published) but if I close and re-open and then Preview I get the "not a valid xsn" error. I can go re-configure the drop-downs then it works again.

It will be a pain once I duplicate the fields the 25 or so needed times...
  • 08-08-2019 08:04 AM In reply to

Oh wow - I figured it did since the template I uploaded still works when I re-open it. You may just have to add these fields to your list.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 08-09-2019 06:16 AM In reply to

Unfortunately that is not an option. This form is already HUGE and very near the column limit in SharePoint. I can barely afford to add the 25 additional columns needed for 25 error codes. If I added the fields used just to filter the codes it will be 100 more (4 drop-downs x 25 slots for storing errors), which I know won't fit. :-(

Other than the bug this way works best by far, since filters 1 - 3 are only used to help the tester sort through the hierarchical list of the many codes (selecting the actual codes is someone else's project, and not something I have control over). During the few months this is under development I may investigate using Auto Hotkey or similar to reconfigure the parts that don't save every morning.
  • 04-10-2020 08:12 PM In reply to

Hello to anyone still reading this forum. :-)

I started this particular thread in the summer of 2019 but got pulled onto numerous other projects, then once this one was re-started I was instructed to investigate Power Apps. in the end I came full circle back to Infopath to perform the desired functions, and after re-familiarizing myself with Hilary's suggestions and her example was able to get the exact functionality I needed. The menu "tree" has been reduced from four to three levels, but for all entries there is only column used for the defect code. The Level 1 and Level 2 parts of the menu tree are bound only to xml variants and don't consume a column but still aid in navigating the 58 possible menu codes.

So all is good and working as desired right now. No problem, right? Except one, and that's the exact same bug described earlier in this thread. When saving and closing the file then reopening only the Level 3 menu drop-down- which is bound to an actual column, retains its configuration. The Level 1 and 2 xml-bound drop-downs retain nothing and have to be reconfigured every single time.

While not a "killer" issue it's a huge inconvenience because every time the file is re-opened to make a tweak I have to reconfigure 60 of these bound entries. I guess I am just checking in to see if anyone has come across a fix or work around for this particular Infopth bug.

Thank you for reading!
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.