Unique Values in Repeating Table Drop Down List - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Unique Values in Repeating Table Drop Down List

Last post 06-24-2019 06:07 AM by gclode. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-21-2019 08:51 AM

• gclode
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-20-2019
    • Posts 5

Unique Values in Repeating Table Drop Down List

Hi, I am trying to find a "simple" solution and I have not been able to locate one yet. I have an InfoPath form tied to a SharePoint form library. In the form I have a repeating table with a field for a drop down list. The list has values that I have entered manually. I would like to have it to where the drop down list only shows the values that the user has not selected in any other row of the repeating table. For example if the choices are 1,2,3,4 and the user chooses 2 in the first row then the next row only shows the choices 1,3 and 4. This would need to continue for the length of the repeating table. If this is not possible then how would I put a rule on that gives an error if the value was already selected in another row? My InfoPath knowledge is not as strong as my SharePoint or Excel so any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • 06-21-2019 09:15 AM In reply to

Re: Unique Values in Repeating Table Drop Down List

Completely possible - just need to add a filter to the dropdown. So that means the values will have to move from being hard coded (entered manually) to a secondary data source - but that can be an XML file in the form, so it isn't like you have to set up a SharePoint list for them. See attached sample - save locally, right click and select design. The XPath can be a little tricky - search for "InfoPath Shrinking Dropdown" and you'll find some blogs / examples that might help explain the concept. And feel free to attach your form to a reply if you need a hand.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-21-2019 09:33 AM In reply to

• gclode
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-20-2019
    • Posts 5

Thank you for the quick reply! I do apologize as I can't open attachments due to some network restrictions. I also have to say I feel a bit out of my area of strength as InfoPath is still newer to me than I would like. I am not familiar with how to create an XML file to use for a drop down source. Are you able to point me in the direction? I have found some examples of the XPath that I can possibly try.
  • 06-21-2019 09:40 AM In reply to

I think you maybe are trying to open the file instead of downloading, right clicking and opening in design mode? https://www.infopathdev.com/forums/p/28565/98301.aspx has a discussion on this. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-cascading-list-box-1702993d-d670-4d9b-8063-acabacb76605#bm3_2 has info on how to create an XML file - though theirs is more complex than you may need.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-24-2019 06:07 AM In reply to

• gclode
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-20-2019
    • Posts 5

Thank you Hilary for the help! I was able to get it working. I do have another question unrelated so I will enter a new post. Thank you again!
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.