Only text string less than or equal to one character allowed error - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Only text string less than or equal to one character allowed error

Last post 06-12-2019 08:58 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 06-07-2019 10:46 AM

Only text string less than or equal to one character allowed error

Hi, I have created a drop down list box which populates from a SharePoint list. The field being populated looks like this : 8/4/2019 H and has the entire calendar year pay period with date plus suffix H or S. The above Date + string type on SharePoint is a "Single line of text" that feeds to the infopath form. The "Data Type" on the Infopath form's drop down list is "TextType". How do i go go about resolving this issue/error in subject line to be able to submit the form ? Thanks for your help! Sumanth
    Filed under:
  • 06-07-2019 12:40 PM In reply to

Re: Only text string less than or equal to one character allowed error

Is this a SharePoint List form? Any chance a character limit has been set on the field?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-07-2019 01:46 PM In reply to

Hi Hilary, This is a SharePoint list being fed to the InfoPath form by Managing Data Connections. If you look at my Drop-Down List Box Properties, I dont have "Text Box Properties" listed. It goes to Size, Advanced and Browser Forms. Is there a way to combine Date and String in the SharePoint list and create a field? Currently the Field i have "ChangeEffectiveDate" is of Single Line of Text type.
  • 06-07-2019 03:12 PM In reply to

Is the InfoPath form bound to a list? Or does it submit data to a library? I'm asking because I'm not sure what the circumstances are in an InfoPath form where you aren't allowed to change the data type - I know list bound forms have to have the data type changed in the list for example. Sorry - I hadn't noticed your screenshot was for a dropdown. Feel free to attach a copy of the form under the options tab to a reply.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-11-2019 09:16 AM In reply to

The infopath form feeds off of several lists for a variety of drop downs within the form. So yes the field in question which has been named "Change effective date" is being populated/bound to a list on SharePoint. The list does have both date and string for example: "6/11//2019 S " but is a single line of text type. From what you mentioned above "I know list bound forms have to have the data type changed in the list for example" - i am thinking about changing the list field from single line of text to a custom field to have both date and string. Not sure how. Sumanth
  • 06-11-2019 02:19 PM In reply to

I think I'm being unclear. I understand that your InfoPath form has data in it from a SharePoint List. What I'm trying to understand is about the InfoPath form itself - the XSN file where you are seeing the issue - is it bound to a data source, or a web service, or was it created from an existing schema? Can you attach a copy under the options tab in a reply so I can better understand?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 06-12-2019 08:48 AM In reply to

Sorry if i didn't make things clear. I have it attached. I was however able to solve the issue by picking a combo box rather than a Drop down. I spent time trying to convert the List field to a calculated field which would take String and convert the Date to string and show them both. The infopath form was still not happy about it since it kept giving me the error stated in this threads subject line. Finally made the control change to a combo box and now its letting me show date and string without actually manipulating the SharePoint list. Sumanth
  • 06-12-2019 08:58 AM In reply to

Ok, good. So this is a List form. When I look at the field settings from the schema, I can see that in the List this text field was set to have a max. char. count of 1 - the only thing you could have done was change the list settings to allow more characters. So creating a new field was probably the right way to work around.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.