Connect Repeating Table Text box to XML Secondary Connection - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Connect Repeating Table Text box to XML Secondary Connection

Last post 05-16-2019 09:23 AM by jimwal. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-13-2019 09:00 AM

• jimwal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2019
    • Posts 5

Connect Repeating Table Text box to XML Secondary Connection

Hope you can help

I have a List set up on Sharepoint that contains a column named 'Questions', I am using this list in a repeating table.

I would like to prefill this text box when it loads with questions from an XML file which is available as a secondary connection (this XML has been created using notepad and saved as questions.xml)

These are the details within the XML file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <QuestionFields>
     <Q1PIA00500></Q1PIA00500>
     <Q2PIA01500></Q2PIA01500>
     </QuestionFields> 

But I cannot get each of the questions to appear in separate textboxes within the repeating table, they only appear together in one of the textboxes.

Web Services is out of the question as this is not enabled on our Sharepoint

Any help would be gratefully received. 

• 05-13-2019 03:33 PM In reply to

Re: Connect Repeating Table Text box to XML Secondary Connection

How are you identifying which question in your XML should be displayed for a given list row? Is there an ID or something? Is it the name of the node?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-14-2019 12:23 AM In reply to

• jimwal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2019
    • Posts 5

Hi Hilary, 

That's the bit I am struggling with, im not even sure if my XML is correct

This is how my Secondary looks at the moment

Regards

Jim 

• 05-14-2019 08:34 AM In reply to

Ah, OK. You should be able to use to local-name as a filter. See attached sample - save it locally, right click and select design, then you can preview or take a look at the logic.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-15-2019 01:00 AM In reply to

• jimwal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2019
    • Posts 5

Hi Hilary,

Thank you for that its becoming a bit more clearer now.

Against each question there will be 3 check boxes of which only 1 can be answered.

The questions and check boxes will be added to an existing form that I have designed that as other criteria boxes at the top of the form which is taken from the main SharePoint List.

In the Main List there will also a Questions and the 3 checks fields (Called Questions, Check OK, No Check and Below Standard)

The XML will contain around 19 questions all displayed in the form 

I want to add the questions and check XML to the findings part (see Current Form Image).

I am aware that when the user presses the submit button the top half of the form will be submitted back to the SP List, but is it possible get all of the questions and answers to also go back to the SP list + the information in the top half of the form

Is this possible? 

Regards

Jim 

• 05-15-2019 08:17 AM In reply to

So - there is no way out of the box in InfoPath to submit secondary data. Is this a SharePoint List form (sorry, I'm sort of confused at this point)? Is it set to manage multiple items? List forms have a lot of restrictions that sometimes make them hard to work with - if you don't mind sharing your form (attach it under the Options tab in a reply) - it may make me less confused. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-16-2019 01:01 AM In reply to

• jimwal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2019
    • Posts 5

Hilary,

I can confirm it is a Sharepoint List form and it is set to manage multiple Items.

Rather than adding 19 separate questions to the SP list, I was trying to see I could do it dynamically using an XML source, then each question against a supplier would be entered onto the SP list individually under the questions column of the SP list along with the outcome (Check Ok, No Check or below standard) when the user presses the submit button

I have attached the form for you

Jim  

• 05-16-2019 08:21 AM In reply to

So - does this form work the way you intend in general? I'm concerned about all the repeating sections - I'm assuming when you add a repeating section at the top, all the others would then have a second instance as well. It seems like that might be confusing for the user - I'd be more likely to use a single repeating section with the entire form (i.e., all the controls to be filled out for a given item) in it. In terms of using an XML file for your questions, or avoiding adding all of them to your list - I'm afraid that isn't going to be possible. SharePoint List forms don't support any kind of nested repeating data, outside of multi-select columns. Which means each multi-select repeats individually, and you can't really re-associate them to put the data back together. I think you'd be much better off, if you must use a list form, using a single repeating section with your entire form, as well as having list columns for each question. If you can use a Library Form instead, you'll be able to have nested repeating structures, but then you may struggle with reporting on the data, if you need all of this promoted back up to the library.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-16-2019 09:23 AM In reply to

• jimwal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 05-13-2019
    • Posts 5

Thank you for all of your help, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer

Will go back to the drawing board

Again Thank You

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.