Populating multiple rows in Repeating Tables - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Populating multiple rows in Repeating Tables

Last post 05-15-2019 07:57 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 05-01-2019 09:38 PM

Populating multiple rows in Repeating Tables

Hi Experts, I am trying to populate a repeating table on the 'onload' event & on drop down value change. On both events i found that there is only 1 row filled in Repeating node by 'Set field value' rule. How can i fill the entire repeating table with multiple rows? Note: I am using InfoPath Designer 2013 & Database Forms. Thanks Anubhav
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-02-2019 09:25 AM In reply to

Re: Populating multiple rows in Repeating Tables

Hello All, I was able to map the Repeating tables directly with 'Secondary connections'. Then i used the Query rule and populated the data in secondary connection. Later I used formatting rule to hide the rows which does not match the id. However the 'Insert' & 'Delete' buttons have disabled. Please advice.
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-02-2019 10:49 AM In reply to

So - you can't insert / delete rows from a secondary data connection - that's because any changes you make to secondary data are not going to persist. What is your desired end goal? You want the user to make changes to the secondary data and submit it back to the data source? Since you are using a database bound form, I'd suggest making sure the table you wish to display / edit is part of your main data connection - you are using this form in Filler, right? I think submit is disabled for db bound forms in browser forms.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-02-2019 03:19 PM In reply to

Thanks Hilary.you caught that right!! This view has data coming in from 2 tables (1 - Main Connection on which the drop down value persist) and on this drop down value change i am trying to populate a table ( from Secondary Connection). So how can these 2 tables be in Main connection simultaneously?? My end goal - On drop down change this repeating table is populated and user should be able to insert/delete records in this table (on form) and should submit back the form data. It looks there is some code to be done by clicking 'Code Editor' in Info-path. Please confirm me if my scare is correct....
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-02-2019 03:37 PM In reply to

Are your tables connected in the DB? You can create relationships in the main connection in a database bound InfoPath form - submits to one-to-many data connections are supported in InfoPath filler. Yes, if you must add code, you can - and then you can pretty much do as you want. If you decide to use code, you'd probably want to add a repeating table to your main data source, use code to populate the data when the user selects the dropdown value, then use code to write changes back to the DB when the user submits. Again, I'm assuming you are planning on an InfoPath filler form, not browser.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2019 10:13 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary, Thanks for your reply. I will break that into several parts: - I am creating these forms to publish on SharePoint so not planning for Info Filler Forms. So I think the relationships for Main Connection would not be possible here. Yes my tables are in SQL so I have created Database Forms to connect to them directly. I have to admit that I am not well versed with C Sharp for looping a Secondary Data connection and filling the Local Group (in Main Connection), however I will try it. So that is the only solution to this problem or is there some other way?
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-03-2019 02:49 PM In reply to

Ok, so if this is a browser form - how were you planning on submitting back to your database? Use a web service? Use code? https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/submit-form-data-to-a-microsoft-sql-server-database-15fd82dc-8077-4737-bc13-94d993bc84af has information on the restrictions with DB bound forms in the browser. You aren't using SharePoint Online are you?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-03-2019 06:07 PM In reply to

Hi Hilary
    I assume that there are Submit options in Info Path Designer to submit back to Database.
    I will be publishing these forms to SharePoint Online.
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-06-2019 07:46 AM In reply to

If you check the documentation I referenced, you'll find that your assumption is incorrect. You can find the same info here: https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/web-browser-compatibility-in-infopath-forms-services-0356450c-82ec-40a5-b145-c7e935f73fdc - note that while the table indicates IP 2007, the top of the page indicates the info is still accurate for 2010 and 2013.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-13-2019 10:23 AM In reply to

Hi Hilary,
    So you mean to say I can only display but not submit the data from Sharepoint Online to SQL directly using infopath deployed forms. I have one final set of 2 questions to close this:
    Question 1: - As was the original question raised during the start of this post.....Will I be to write code in Visual Studio for this InfoPath form and display and edit/delete the repeating tables section of database Forms?
    Question 2:- Will I be able to publish This InfoPath developed form to Sharepoint and view it there with all the functionalities as I do in "Preview" of InfoPath tool. Could you help me in listing the steps to deploy this InfoPath Database Form to Sharepoint Online.I am getting error in doing it.
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-13-2019 03:35 PM In reply to

You cannot publish InfoPath forms with code to SharePoint Online. I really don't have a suggestion for using your SQL bound form in SharePoint Online. Have you thought about using PowerApps?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 05-15-2019 05:07 AM In reply to

Okay that is true but seemed very strange to me that 'what is the exact purpose of InfoPath form designing if they cant be published to sharepoint'!! Neverthless, i am just starting with Power Apps option... could you give me some 1-2 liners how to go about it. I have a heads-up =Power Apps has a Form Designer but need to check whether it connects to SQL and give me fields to drag and drop and then the option of publishing to SharePoint.Hope it does all this!!
    Cheers!!
    Anubhav
  • 05-15-2019 07:57 AM In reply to

There are many kinds of InofPath forms. It just happens that database bound forms have some limitations when used in the browser. Also, since InfoPath is deprecated, we are seeing less capabilities allowed in SharePoint Online. I'm assuming Microsoft would prefer we stop building things with a deprecated product. PowerApps can connect to SQL Azure or on-prem. With an on-prem SQL server, you'll need to set up a Gateway- there is a lot of information online on these topics. To get started with PowerApps: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/modules/get-started-with-powerapps/
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.