Document Library vs Document Form - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Document Library vs Document Form

Last post 09-08-2009 07:54 AM by shawn.taylor. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 11-01-2004 07:03 AM

Document Library vs Document Form

When publishing my Form to Sharepoint, I can seem to publish it as a Document Library ok, and the form displays properly when I select "Fill Out This Form" in Sharepoint. The problem is, this is a form. I would like a way to publish it as a form. Or, upload it into Sharepoint. I've tried the latter, and the form gives me an error when I attempt to display it.

The following form template for the form cannot be found: C:\Documents and Settings\DWheelerSomeoneelse\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\EZ6FQ5AB\Employment%20Offer%20Request[1].xsn

Of course, if I'm running this locally it works properly everytime. This was ran from someone else's computer.
  • 11-01-2004 09:13 AM In reply to

Re: Document Library vs Document Form

When a form is saved, it keeps track of the location of the form template used to create that form. If you simply move the form, you chance having this happen. In you case, you had a form created on one computer, which you transferred to another computer. The template could not be found on the other computer in the location it was expecting it to be.

When you fill out a form starting from SharePoint, the form should expect to find the template on SharePoint. Then provided both machines have the same access to SharePoint, you should be able to transfer the form from one machine to the other. (I haven't verified this).

Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]
  • 11-03-2004 02:02 PM In reply to

SOLUTION: When you publish the form to Sharepoint the form will be listed as a Document Library (or whatever you named it). Select the "Fill Out This Form", but before you actually fill out the form, select File -> Save. This will save the template. Of course, you can see that there will be a few issues. Mainly , for each form that you publish you will need a seperate Document Library, which in itself is not cool. If someone finds a way to actually "Publish a form to sharepoint" (not a Document Library) please let me know.
  • 11-24-2004 06:58 AM In reply to

The solution that I had was a work around, and not a resolution to the problem. The problem that exists, is that you CANNOT publish an InfoPath FORM to Sharepoint. Please comment...

Of course, after you've published your document library, you could copy the template file locally and upload it in sharepoint.
  • 11-24-2004 08:40 AM In reply to

I'm a bit confused by your "SOLUTION" above... Maybe its a terminology issue.

First, a "form template" is what you design, and a "form" is what
    you fill out.

Second, form templates are "published", and forms are "saved".

When you publish a form template to SharePoint, yes it appears in the Library. You can republish your form template over the top of an existing form template. This allows existing forms to continue to open (baring any incompatible schema changes) in the updated form template.

When you "Fill Out This Form", and save it, you are saveing a "form" in the library (or you could always choose to save it locally or elsewhere).

If you have an existing form, created by that form template, that you saved somewhere other than the SharePoint Library, you can upload that form to the Library.

Did any of that help, or am I just stating what you already knew?

Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]
  • 12-01-2004 11:38 AM In reply to

Actually it does help. InfoPath creates a form template for publishing and not a form. For example in Word, the Document would be like the form template, and the saved document would be like the form. When you're in Sharepoint, a normal Document Library would consist of a single or multiple forms that someone might have uploaded to a central location. Thus a Library of Documents.

As far as IP is concerned, we're actually publishing a template of a form, which appears to be a Document Library, when in actuality it's not (a Library of Documents), the terminology gets kinda confusing.

This creates a form template, to which, you could save it and upload it and give it the appearance of (a Library Of Documents).

What I've done:
    IP: Publish my form template (DL1)
    SharePoint: select "Fill Out This Form" and immediately save it
    SharePoint: Upload the form that you just saved to DL1

IP: Publish my form template (DL2)
    SharePoint: select "Fill Out This Form" and immediately save it
    SharePoint: Upload the form that you just saved to DL1

Note: When you're finished and it has the appearance of (a Library Of Documents), when you select "Fill Out Form", you can only fill out the form template for DL1. Of course, simply selecting the form template that was uploaded will eleviate that problem.

• 09-08-2009 07:54 AM In reply to

I have a similar type issue.

I have a template published on one SharePoint server. We made edits to the form as an upgrade but will be publishing it to another SharePoint location on the same server. We need to move the historic XML files from the old site to the new site and have them link to the new template.

The first thing I did was published the new template over top of the old site. This updated the xml files with the new fields and formatting. so now the old data forms look correct.

Then I turned around an published the new form on the new sever.

Here is the issue. You can't simply copy the only XML files to the new server in the form library... the "mso-infoPathSolution PIVersion href=" still points to the old SharePoint site.

So when you open the xlm files you are still linking back to the old template.

The second you delete the old site the xml files will be unable to connect to a template.

How do I successfully connect the old xml files to the new template on the new site without manually editing 800 plus XML files =/

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.