Views vs Rules - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Views vs Rules

Last post 03-12-2019 10:59 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-12-2019 08:24 AM

Views vs Rules

So I know from reading that you can create a long form with rules for each section to hide the sections based on a status. But if you create views, why do you still need those rules? I'm working with InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2013 list form. I had a form but created several views. I decided to just delete the sections and submit buttons that I didn't need on the various views to save space and to me seemed easier. However now, I have my default form showing all my sections. I tried created a form load rule with the condition when the status is equal to Requested switch to the Requested view. The new form that is shown has the status as Requested but all my sections are showing. I obviously am missing something on the difference between views and the rules. Please enlighten me.
  • 03-12-2019 10:59 AM In reply to

So - one reason to use formatting rules on sections rather than views is that you can't switch views on a field change. So, say you want to show one set of controls if the user selects "Orange" and another if the user selects "Apple" at the beginning of the form - you would have to make the user click a button to switch to the Orange or Apple view. :-) With conditional formatting and sections that show / hide, the form can display the right controls based on whether the value of that field is Orange or Apple. As to why your sections that you don't want to have show are showing, usually it just means the conditions aren't what you expect, or something isn't the value you expect. Sometimes I change my formatting rules to set the color of the section (or button or whatever) while I'm testing to help me see what's going on.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.