Create new item auto populate fields with last item created in share point list - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Create new item auto populate fields with last item created in share point list

Last post 03-12-2019 07:51 AM by Hilary Stoupa. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-07-2019 04:38 PM

• eduva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-21-2019
    • Posts 3

Create new item auto populate fields with last item created in share point list

Hi, I am new to this forum so I don’t know if this is the right place to post this. I have a form connected to a sharepoint list and a submit button that creates new items to that list. I need a way to auto fill some fields of the form with the information of the last item created in the same list the form is based on. I know absolutely nothing of how to do that. I have seen countless posts about creating a secondary connection and use that with a form load rule that will fill the fields I chose. I have seen suggestions of choosing the max id of the list to filter the query. But I simply don’t know how. I read about how after creating a data connection to the sharepoint list you gotta go the field properties, the Fx (formulas) option and then choose the field of the the data connection I created but I can’t find those fields, I can’t choose another connection all I see are the fields of the current item I am on. Can I get some detailed explanation of how to get the max id of the same list the form is loaded into, and automatically fill the fields I chose? It doesn’t even have to be automatically, if there is an extra step of pressing a button to do it I would gladly accept it. Even if I can’t get the max ID automatically I have absolutely no problems in having the user go to the sharepoint list, choose the ID of the item they just created, and write it down on a field in the form to use as a filter to query the data of that item ID. Thanks in advance
  • 03-08-2019 08:06 AM In reply to

Re: Create new item auto populate fields with last item created in share point list

Do you have a sample form with a data connection that queries the list? Attach it to the Options tab in a reply & I can give you a hand setting up a few approaches. You'll probably find a sample helpful. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-08-2019 09:22 AM In reply to

• eduva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-21-2019
    • Posts 3

Re: Create new item auto populate fields with last item created in share point list

Hi, thanks for answering! I dont a sample form. The list is in the company site and I dont have permissions to share it to outside the company. I truly cant find some good guides for beginners, from the creation of the data connection, to filtering the connection, to filling the current item fields. I finally found how to choose the data connection I created in the "Fx - Insert formula" option of each field of the current item. Now, how do I choose the max id of the list and use that as a filter to query the list and get the data and automatically fill the fields I chose? As long as I get one clear and detailed example, I am sure I can manage. Thanks
  • 03-11-2019 09:35 PM In reply to

• eduva
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 02-21-2019
    • Posts 3

Hey, I am sorry, but I am still struggling with this. Can you please share some good manuals/videos I can watch for this?
  • 03-12-2019 07:51 AM In reply to

Well, if you modify your data connection to sort by ID desc, you wouldn't have to use a filter - without a filter, your XPath will just return the first item in the list. :) This blog post has info on using XPath filters - maybe it will help you? http://codelesssharepointinfopath.com/infopath-using-the-filter-option/
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.