InfoPath Form Name/Title - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

InfoPath Form Name/Title

Last post 03-05-2019 03:47 AM by whartman. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 03-04-2019 09:33 AM

InfoPath Form Name/Title

Hello, Is there away to have the form name you assign it to display on the form when you go to open the form. I understand that this wouldn't take place the first time since the form don't have a name on the first save but going fowarded when you open the form to edit or view info can this name be display? Thanks Wendy
  • 03-04-2019 09:42 AM In reply to

Re: InfoPath Form Name/Title

In general, please don't post in the feedback forum - it is for feedback specifically on the site. :-) I have been moving your posts to the general forum - here's a link: https://www.infopathdev.com/forums/41.aspx

I usually add a field to my form for the form name - you don't have to show it on the form, you can just add it to the data source. Then, in my submit rules, if that field is blank, I set the field to the name I want to use, and I set up my data connection to use that field instead of using a formula in the submit data connection. So - create a field for the name, change your submit data connection to use the name. Change your submit to use rules, and have the first rule check to see if the field is blank. If it is, set the field to the formula you want to use for the form name. Then add a rule to submit the form (and one to close the form if that's the desired behavior). Now the form name is stable, and stored in the form's main data source. Hope that makes sense. :) 

Hilary Stoupa

• 03-04-2019 10:05 AM In reply to

Sorry for posting in the wrong place on your site:( So for some reason it will only populate or display the first form name with in my form library so not sure where I went wrong..... Wendy
  • 03-04-2019 10:21 AM In reply to

I'm happy to take a look at your form and give you a hand. Just attach it here and I can delete it from your post after I download it. No need to apologize, you didn't know - that's why I mentioned it. :-)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-04-2019 10:26 AM In reply to

I want the title name to display in the field IPAddressTitleName, I did have my rule under the Form Load area but I have another rule working there so I moved the rule and tied it to my field but now it don't populate anything at least on the form load it populated the the first title of the first form in my library so I was closer when I had the rule there lol....I have attached it for you to see. Thanks.
  • 03-04-2019 10:37 AM In reply to

First, in your data connections, find the Main submit connection and click Modify - change the FileName from @field4 to the IPAddressTitleName field and just click Next to go through the rest of the dialogs (you may want to select the option to allow overwrite if form exists if you want your users to be able to edit and save changes). I don't see anything in your form that submits to the Main data connection tho - just to email. I've added a sample button here to show you what I mean, save the file locally, right click & select design to open in design mode.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-04-2019 11:46 AM In reply to

So I think maybe I wasn't clear on what I wanted to populate in my read only text field so I attached screen shots or maybe I am cornfussed, in the one part where you have me set the value under the rule to "Set this to what you want the name to be" is where I would click on my data connection and choosing the "title" field but when I publish the form it still don't display this title or filename. I am hoping my screen shots helps in what data I am wanting. Also, I have my end users using the submit/save option the form provides when the form loads should I not use this for the form to do what I am wanting and move towards the button you created?
  • 03-04-2019 11:55 AM In reply to

Oh, I see - I didn't realize you were letting them use the Save button from the user. Generally, I disable Save and then use Submit rules (if I'm going to let them use the Submit button in the ribbon) or I disable the ribbon all together and make them just use buttons in the form. You may be able to get back the name they used when they saved, you'd need to add a data connection to the library the form is published to and set it to return data for only the active form, letting the query run on load - but all you can return that might have the name is the "title" field and I've seen sites where that doesn't get populated when forms are created. May be worth a try tho.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 03-04-2019 11:58 AM In reply to

how do I do this part "set it to return data for only the active form"?
  • 03-04-2019 12:05 PM In reply to

never mind I found it on the data connection.
  • 03-05-2019 03:47 AM In reply to

I finally got what I wanted to work. Here is what I done incase anyone else is wanting to do this: Create a data connection through the wizard choose the field you want to capture the data from and make sure to check “include data for the active form only” then click next and finish. I created a text field and made it read only Then on the form load I created a rule, for condition I choose my text field and set it as blank and for run these actions I choose set a field’s value: for field I choose my text field and for value I used: Title Title is the field from my data connection that I want to display in my read only text field.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.