Cannot Set a field's value using data source - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Cannot Set a field's value using data source

Last post 02-11-2019 04:05 PM by Hilary Stoupa. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 02-04-2019 02:04 PM

Cannot Set a field's value using data source

I've been banging my head on this one for HOURS. Here's where I'm at right now. I can populate a calculated field using a formula with a data source with some filters applied. No problem. But when I try to use a button's rules to "Set a field's value" using the same data source and same filters, I get "Some rules were not applied. Unspecified error". What could be the problem?
  • 02-04-2019 02:26 PM In reply to

Re: Cannot Set a field's value using data source

Oh boy. Any chance I can see a copy of the form? You can attach it under the Options tab in a reply....
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-04-2019 02:34 PM In reply to

I've attached a copy of the form here.
  • 02-05-2019 03:59 PM In reply to

I'm still stuck on this. Can anyone suggest how I might troubleshoot this issue?
  • 02-05-2019 04:09 PM In reply to

Sorry, didn't see your post - I don't see anything in specific in that rule - this is on the button named "button"? I was initially thinking that maybe the secondary DS hadn't been queried, but I can see it queries on load. I guess I'd try a few things - first, just setting that description to a hard-coded value. Does the rule have an error then? What if you make the filter less specific from the secondary data source, what happens then?
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-07-2019 06:18 AM In reply to

Thanks so much for responding. Yes, I've tried all kinds of things like that. As I say, I've been banging away on this for several hours. The sample I sent you is the result of trying many different iterations. This one is the simplest. Why would it work in a calculated field but not in a Set Field Value rule? [pulling my hair out!]
  • 02-07-2019 08:48 AM In reply to

What happens with this copy that I've attached? Save locally, right click and select design and then preview. I noticed something odd in the namespace prefixes on two of the SQL connections - they are using a prefix of d_1, and another SQL connection uses a prefix of n1. I saved the form as source files, checked the manifest, and saw there was no namespace ref for d_1.... but there was one in the view. So, perhaps that's why it was working for a default and not for a rule. I actually modified all the d_1 refs to n1 and removed the d_1 ref from the view, just for the purposes of testing. Since I can't connect to your data sources, I can't tell if this is working now - but I know I was getting the same error on button click before and now I'm not.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 02-11-2019 03:55 PM In reply to

Hi, Hillary. Yes, the copy you attached did work correctly. (THANK YOU) Your explanation makes some sense, tho it's a bit beyond my InfoPath experience. I wonder if the SQL connections got hosed up because I was experimenting with the SQL Max function along with some Group By. In any case, should this happen again I'm not sure I can follow the steps you took to correct it. Can you point me to some tutorial regarding your procedure? (Thank you again!!)
  • 02-11-2019 04:05 PM In reply to

Unfortunately - this is not the kind of thing where there are tutorials. I had to work directly with the source files - and that can get a little tricky. :) Just post back if for some odd reason it should happen again & I'll give you a hand.
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.