Pulling info from an external Data source to a text field - InfoPath Dev
in

InfoPath Dev

Use our Google Custom Search for best site search results.

Pulling info from an external Data source to a text field

Last post 01-25-2019 11:44 AM by benefishall. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 12-12-2018 05:45 AM

Pulling info from an external Data source to a text field

Hello, I'm trying to pull data from an external data source to a text field. I see that (and have used) this can be accomplished with other controls like drop downs, combos, etc... but can I accomplish this using a text filed? Thanks in advance. John
  • 12-12-2018 11:56 AM In reply to

• Asabir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2018
    • Posts 9

Re: Pulling info from an external Data source to a text field

Yes, It si possible by using Xpath on the properties.
  • 12-13-2018 05:20 AM In reply to

Thanks, but your directions are a little vague. Can you elaborate? Thanks, John ~Update So this is what I want to accomplish and sorry if I butcher the explanation: 1. I have a Expense report that I have a section of mileage for users to fill out. 2. We have 2 different mileage rates for those with or without a car allowance. 3. I want to use radio buttons for users to click that would show either of the 2 rates for that column. (ex: click "Without Allowance" button and it populates 10 fields in that column w/ that rate) 4. I would like for the ladies in the accounting group to be able update the rates somewhere (easily) to reflect the rate change on this form. Hopefully this doesn't confuse too much. Thanks, John
  • 12-13-2018 07:37 AM In reply to

Would this vary by row? Or is everything on a given report either with or without allowance? Can you put together a simple sample form showing what you are trying to do, and I can help you with the rules .... you can attach a sample form under the options tab in a reply.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-13-2018 07:49 AM In reply to

• Asabir
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on 06-28-2018
    • Posts 9

to better understand the issue here, on the mileage section you want to get external data? where is external data required? do u have another list for the accounting group to update their info?
  • 12-13-2018 09:37 AM In reply to

Hi Hillary, thanks for the quick reply. It would not vary by row and yes everything would be on one report with or without allowance. I have attached the form that I'm working with (hope that's OK) and also a screenshot of section I'm trying to make work. Thanks again, you're a great help! John
  • 12-13-2018 09:40 AM In reply to

Asabir, yes I would like to pull data from another SharePoint list that the accounting group can update. Attached is a picture of the form. Thanks John
  • 12-14-2018 02:43 PM In reply to

Ok - so this data isn't repeating, which means you'll need to add a rule to set each field, unfortunately.... If the Mileage Rate would be the same for every row - perhaps it would be better not to have a field for each entry? Just have one field with the value? You could display it in each row - just use a calculated value to show it to the user. Here's an update of your form showing what I mean. Save it locally, right click and select design to open in design mode. Next, as to the secondary data - add a list to your site with a single entry and two columns - one for mileage with allowance, and one for mileage without. Then add a data connection to your form that queries for data from that list. You can then just pick the right info when the radio button is selected in your form - if you need help, attach a new copy of your form with the data connection added. :)
    Hilary Stoupa

• 12-18-2018 07:18 AM In reply to

Hi Hillary, sorry to bother you again and I really appreciate your help on this but I can't seem to get this to work. I see what you did and I think I understand what you mean but I can't get the mileage rate to change using a rule to query using external data. I tried setting that rule on the radio button field and the Calculated value field. I also have a list created with 2 separate columns (1 with Allowance and one without), no dice... Also, not quite sure what you mean by "attach a new copy of your form with the data connection added". Sorry total Newbie... :) And thanks again! John
  • 12-19-2018 08:50 AM In reply to

Once you have created a list, do you know how to add a data connection to that list to your form template? Under Data Connections, Add > then follow the prompts to add a list data connection. Once you have done that, save a copy of the form and attach it to a reply so I can help you with your rules.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-24-2019 11:41 AM In reply to

Hi Hillary, I am just now getting back to this and wondered if you wouldn't mind helping me, again. I'm still having an issue getting the proper value to populate into the calculated value fields. I have a data source which has the values that I want to use and I can get the calculated values to populate correctly using a Drop Down List but not when I use an option button. I also have the rule setup where if the option button is equal to True to Query using that data connection. This works (kinda) but populates the fields in the Mileage Rate column with either "true" or "false" not the number from the external form. I have attached the form template to this post and the section is at the bottom of the form in the "Mileage" section. (With and W/O Car Allowance) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • 01-25-2019 07:54 AM In reply to

Try this one. You don't need to query the list again - you are doing that when the form opens. I've got rules on MileageRate1 to set MileageRate - hopefully that is what you needed.
    Hilary Stoupa

• 01-25-2019 10:13 AM In reply to

Thank you soooooo much for helping with this Hillary. Unfortunately, it still isn't working. I removed the MileageRate field (because I just included this as an example) and updated the form to look like it's supposed to look and work. Now I'm getting the error when selecting With or Without car allowance buttons "only 'true' or 'false' allowed" I attached the template for your review Thanks again, John
  • 01-25-2019 10:14 AM In reply to

Sorry here's the screen shot of the error
  • 01-25-2019 10:40 AM In reply to

So - I don't understand why the MileageRate1 field, which is a true / false field, is being used in the repeating table... shouldn't the mileage rate in the repeating table (the calculated value) be bound to a number field? The field called "MileageRate" which I was guessing would be the actual rate, looks like it is a choice field - what are the choices for that field?
    Hilary Stoupa

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Copyright © 2003-2019 Qdabra Software. All rights reserved.
View our Terms of Use.